The right rear bumper on the Taurus that we just purchased has a dent in it. The damage is limited to the cover only. How can I push the dent out from the inside? Can I use rubbing compound on the bumper cover to remove the red paint from the car that hit it?
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1. Open liftgate.
2. Remove both taillight assemblies by removing 2 hex-head bolts located in the area revealed when the liftgate is opened.
3. Remove 4 plastic retainers on the very bottom of the bumper cover in the rear.
4. Remove 2 phillips head screws in the wheel well rear lip.
5. Remove 4 pop-up plastic retainers in liftgate area. Use two screw drivers to lift the head and then pull the entire retainer out.
6. Remove a hex-head bolt from each side in the area revealed when the taillight assembly was removed.
7. Bend the bumper cover outward on each side to clear the wheel well lip and remove the bumper. Have a blanket or carpet on the ground to protect the bumper.
8. Remove metal clips from tabs that connect the upper bumper cover to the lower bumper cover.
9. Drill out pop-rivets that connect upper bumper cover to lower bumper cover.
10. Push tabs out of slots to separate the upper and lower bumper covers.
11. Release tab locks on chrome trim pieces and remove from upper bumper cover.
12. Reverse this process to replace the bumper cover.
Should look for the bumper shocks and remove which ever is easiest, remove bumper then remove cover , replace cover and reinstall bumper, watch out for wires and clips might hold cover to side plastic.
The sides of the bumper slide on over a large pin to hold them in place. The easiest and correct way of getting it back on is to unbolt the bumper cover from the impact absorbers in the rear and slide the cover off by pulling it straight back. When you slide it back on, make sure the cover goes on the pins on each side before pushing it all the way back in place and bolting it back up to the impact absorbers. If you have been rear-ended then the tracks that these pins slide into may be broken. If thats the case you will have to replace the bumper cover