Question about Ford F-150
P0500 - Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
Basically this means that the vehicle's speed as read by the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not working properly.
Symptoms of a P0500 DTC may include:
* loss of anti-lock brakes
* the "anti-lock" or "brake" warning lamps on the dash may be lit
* the speedometer or odometer may not work properly (or at all)
* your vehicle's RPM limiter may be decreased
* the shifting of an automatic transmission may become erratic
* other symptoms may also be present
Causes: A code P0500 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is not reading (functioning) properly
* There is a broken/frayed wire leading to the vehicle speed sensor
* The vehicle's PCM is not correctly configured for the actual tire size on the vehicle
Possible Solutions: The simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
Next, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the speed sensor. The location of the sensor depends on your vehicle. The sensor could be on the rear axle, transmission, or perhaps the wheel hub (brake) assembly.
If the wiring and connectors are OK, then check the voltage at the speed sensor. Again, the exact procedure wil depend on your make and model of vehicle.
If everything looks OK, replace the sensor.
I hope helps; remember to rate and comment this.
Posted on Oct 05, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 25, 2014 | 2000 BMW 528i
Aug 04, 2011 | 2001 Mercedes-Benz C-Class
Apr 07, 2011 | 1996 Ford F150 Regular Cab
Jan 26, 2010 | 1996 Ford F150 Regular Cab
Sep 01, 2009 | 1994 Ford F150 Styleside Supercab
Mar 12, 2009 | 2000 Ford F150 Flareside SuperCab
Feb 26, 2009 | 1994 Ford F150 Styleside Supercab
893 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: