Question about Ford Explorer
If so it will be on the drivers side of the engine. Look for the metal tube that goes into the upper plenum just behind the throttle body. Follow that metal tube and you will see to hoses coming off from it. Follow the hoses up to the DPFE sensor.
It is common for the sensors to stick at a certain voltage. With them unplugged the Computer should default a value of around 5 volts. With it plugged in the voltage should be around 1 volt (key on engine off). Voltage should increase as EGR flow increases. You can supply vacuum to the EGR valve with the engine running. If the engine stalls the EGR is working and the DPFE is most likely bad. If it doesn't the EGR is not working and the DPFE is not your problem.
Also make sure you check the two hoses carefully. They do get old and crack/burn out. If they are leaking the sensor will not be able to sense EGR flow accurately.
97% of the time it is the DPFE sensor. The other 3% are bad hoses, EGR, wiring, etc.
Posted on Oct 04, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 29, 2011 | 2002 Ford Expedition
Oct 04, 2011 | 2003 Ford Explorer
Jul 15, 2011 | 2002 Ford Explorer
May 12, 2011 | 2002 Ford Explorer
Mar 29, 2011 | 2003 Ford Explorer
Sep 24, 2010 | 2002 Ford Explorer Sport
Jul 05, 2010 | 1996 Ford Explorer
Jul 07, 2010 | 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Mar 29, 2010 | 2002 Ford Explorer
Feb 10, 2009 | 2000 Ford Focus
498 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: