Question about 2000 Saturn SL
Hi! Have you checked the TPS (throttle position sensor)? YOu may want to start on the TPS. Hope this helps and thank you for using FixYa!
Posted on Oct 13, 2010
The code P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1), this basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.
Symptoms: You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.
Causes: A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry.
* There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible solutions include:
* In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
* Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
* Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
Test it and tell us news.
Posted on Oct 13, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 15, 2016 | Toyota Cars & Trucks
Feb 22, 2016 | Buick Cars & Trucks
Aug 23, 2012 | Toyota Avalon Cars & Trucks
Jan 25, 2012 | 2008 Pontiac Vibe
Aug 21, 2011 | Saturn Vue Cars & Trucks
Aug 06, 2010 | 1997 Volkswagen Jetta
Apr 27, 2010 | 2000 Saturn SL
Dec 29, 2009 | 2002 Volkswagen Passat
Sep 01, 2009 | 1993 Saturn SL2
456 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: