Question about 1983 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

1983 Bronco full size with 351w installed. My distributor does not have a vacuum advance on it. It was made that way. It has an old Duraspark 1 box mounted on it. On the harness, someone cut the plug going from the wiring harness to the distributor. Is it okay to cut the plug off the distributor wire and splice it to the wiring harness? Nobody sells replacement plugs to connect the harness to the distributor

Posted by on


1 Answer

Yes they do.
Also,you could cut one off, at salvage yard

Posted on Oct 01, 2010

Testimonial: "The respondent forgot to tell me where those replacement plugs could be found. All the big box auto parts places say they don't have them."


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

What do the numbers on a 1983 ford bronco engine block timing bracket signify?

When shined on by a timing light connected to #1 plug, it tells you how close to top dead center the spark plug is actually firing. There will be more numbers on one side of the zero, that will be the before TDC side. It's adjusted by loosening the bolt holding the distributor in place and rotating the distributor. Check the specs for your Bronco, the idle speed has to be right, and you may have to plug the vacuum advance hose for an accurate reading...

Aug 06, 2016 | Ford Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I have an 83 bronco with a 351w i changed to a small rv cam and replaced the timing gears and chain. It will start and idle fine but when I put it in gear it will back fire and sputter when i give it gas....

You may need to adjust the timing via the distributor. Usually when changing the cams in older engines some custom tweeking is needed. You also may need to slightly adjust the fuel pressure when changing the cam. Is this engine have a throttle body or a carburetor?

Apr 05, 2012 | 1983 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

I have a 91 bronco w/ a 351w. I need to replace the ignition control module. Do I need to pull the distributor? If so, is there anything special I need to do as far as putting the distributor back in?

the ignition control modual is not in the ditributor but either atatched to the side of the distributor or located on the firewall/fender well.removing the distributor is not nessisary.

Nov 19, 2010 | 1991 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

What is the spark plug firing order for a 1989 Ford Bronco with a 302 Cu. In. V8 engine?

There are three kinds of 302s made from 1982-2001. 5.0L HO This engine was used in 1983-1995 Mustangs, Mark VII Lincolns, and some T-birds and Cougars. All Explorer 5.0L engines are 5.0L HO engines as well. They use the 351W firing order, 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. Except for the 1983-84 Mustangs, all of these engines are roller cam equipped. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover. The 1994-5 Mustang and all Explorers use a unique front cover and water pump. 5.0L Full Size Car This engine was used in 1982-1990 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis. They use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. Most of these cars are not roller cam equipped, however sometime in the early 1990s they started using roller cams but retained the 302 firing order. They use a standard (clockwise) rotation water pump and front cover. 5.0L Truck (except Explorer) These engines are similar to the Full Size Car engines, except they use different intake manifolds and camshaft profiles. They also use the 289-302 firing order, 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. They also began using roller cams sometime in the early 1990s. They use a reverse rotation water pump and front cover.

Good Luck

Nov 12, 2010 | 1989 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

I have a 1983 ford bronco I wanna kno what size engine is in it

there are several different sizes. it is mots likely 351W engine. but i could also be a 351M or a 400M all of which are v8s

Oct 22, 2010 | 1983 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

Ford 351 windsor engine diagram

ford-351-windsor-engine-diagram-p05qnqdskqjeezv3eiltmave-1-0.jpg Here's a mechanical blow-up of an 80's 351w engine.

ford-351-windsor-engine-diagram-p05qnqdskqjeezv3eiltmave-1-2.jpg and the firing order layout.
hope this helps...

Jun 23, 2010 | 1991 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

Took the efi 5.0 out my 89 bronco and installed a 351w carburated out a 84 bronco.wiring in the 84 was screwed.replaced the distributor with a points distributor and coil and no matter how i wire it it...

I dont know what "points distributor" you installed or how you made sure you installed it correctly. But a more simple way would be to get a distributor that has the coil pack built in. That kind only would require 2 wire connection. Positive 12 v and ground. also it has a 3rd connection you may use that is for the tac. very simple.
The one you have now ... do you get spark to the spark plugs. If so I would fool around more with being sure it is installed correctly, find TDC and be sure the rotor is pointing to the #1 cylinder, ALSO that you have the plug wires going in the right order on the cap. I dont think you will have luck with the computer compatible question.

Oct 01, 2009 | 1989 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

Want to remove computer from 1983 bronco ll

there was no distributor that wasn't solid state, they were Duraspark system (to late 1985 model year, no computer) and then TFI system, sorry.

Mar 27, 2009 | 1983 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

Changing electric system on 2.8 engine

You will need the Duraspark ll ignition system from a late 70's Ford 2.8. I used the 78 Mustang ll to order the parts when I did my 84 Bronco ll 2.8.
You will need the distributor, rotor, distributor cap and adapter, and the ignition module. You can use the TFI coil that was on the 2.8. you will also have to replace the feedback carb with a non feedback one. A Motorcraft 2150 will work.
For more help is a site dedicated to Ranger based vehicles(Ranger, Bronco ll and Explorer). They have a very extensive Tech Library. Membership to the site is free and the forums and Tech Library can be viewed without becoming a member.
Look in the Tech Library under "Ignition/2.8 duraspark conversion.

Dec 27, 2008 | 1984 Ford Ranger

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

306 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

80637 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5687 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides