Question about 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
The catalytic converter has an oxygen sensor in front and behind it. When the vehicle is warm and running in closed loop mode, the upstream oxygen sensor waveform reading should fluctuate. The downstream O2 sensor reading should be fairly steady. Typically the P0420 code triggers the Check Engine Light if the readings of the two sensors are similar. This is indicative of (among other things) a converter that is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). It is part of the vehicle emissions system.
Symptoms: You will likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms.
Causes: A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for
* An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly
* The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly
* Damaged or leaking exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe
* Retarded spark timing
* The oxygen sensors in front and behind the converter are reporting too similar of readings
Possible Solutions: Some suggested steps for troubleshooting a P0420 error code include:
* Check for exhaust leaks at the manifold, pipes, catalytic converter. Repair as required.
* Use a scope to diagnose the oxygen sensor operation (Tip: The oxygen sensor in front of the catalytic converter normally has a fluctuating waveform. The waveform of the sensor behind the converter should be more steady).
* Inspect the downstream heated oxygen sensor (HO2), replace if necessary
* Replace the catalytic converter
One thing to note is that many vehicle manufacturers offer a longer warranty on emissions-related parts. So if you have a newer car but it's out of it's bumper-to-bumper warranty, there still may be warranty on this type of problem. Many manufacturers give a five year, unlimited mileage warranty on these items. It's worth checking into.
Hope helps (remember to rate and comment this).
Posted on Sep 29, 2010
Testimonial: "thanks for the help !!!!!"
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 12, 2014 | 2004 Lincoln Aviator
Sep 12, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 30, 2014 | 2005 Chrysler Pacifica
Apr 19, 2012 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Feb 19, 2011 | Toyota Camry Cars & Trucks
Aug 21, 2010 | 2001 Volkswagen Golf
Feb 15, 2010 | 2005 Chevrolet Colorado
Sep 14, 2009 | 1996 Plymouth Breeze
1,045 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: