Question about 1998 Jeep Cherokee
My 1998 cherokee is being rather stubborn right now... The mechanism that keeps the hatch shut has somehow seized up and now I can't open my hatch. I took it to a shop and they (as most shops are when you bring them a jeep) looked at it like a monkey doing a math problem. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?!?!
Do this steps to open your's
1. Straighten out a metal coat hanger and bend a small hook on one end.
2. Remove the top screws on the inner pannel.
3. Gently pull the top of the pannel open about an inch and shine a flashlight inside the hatch. Mine has the pop up glass which makes this a little easier.
4. Slide the hooked end of the coat hanger inside the hatch while a friend works the release handle up and down.
5. Inside the hatch, at the bottom of course, you will see the release arm moving. Simply hook the arm with the coat hanger and pull up!
6. It may take a few tries, but the hatch will open easily.
you will able to open your hatch in less than 15 minutes by yourself not required 1 more single person. Once the hatch opens, remove the remaining screws and you will see that the release arm is adjustable. The arm is threaded and simply pops into a metal clamp. Pop it out of the clamp, pull up on the arm to take up as much slack as possible, and pop the arm back into the clamp. Replace the inner pannel and your done.
so you got your hatch open now,
Posted on May 18, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 15, 2015 | 1998 Ford Explorer
Oct 29, 2013 | 1998 Jeep Cherokee Grand 2WD
Apr 15, 2013 | 2007 GMC Envoy Denali
Jul 17, 2012 | 2004 Dodge Grand Caravan
Mar 14, 2012 | 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jul 14, 2011 | 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Mar 13, 2010 | 1998 Ford Explorer
Jan 01, 2010 | 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Feb 01, 2009 | 1998 Toyota 4Runner
231 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: