Question about 1989 Isuzu Pickup 2WD
How do I change the key cylinder on my 1989 Isuzu pick up? It is difficult to turn.
Lock cylinder & keys is about $90. Switch alone is around $45 with wiring harness. Don't know if switch comes with a new lock cylinder. Thought I had to replace mine, so read up on it in Haynes Repair manual before jumping in. Just did this today. Took my switch apart, cleaned it - nothing wrong, put it back together. Doing that, I didn't have to remove the lock cylinder, so I can't offer hands on with that.
My '89 pickup does not have shearhead bolts as described in the manual - guess some models do. Here's what the book says (with my add-ons):
- Disconnect neg. battery cable
- Remove steering column cover (bottom half - 5 phillips screws)
- Unplug ignition switch wiring harness (I didn't do this - must be back up under the dash somewhere)
- Remove the two ignition switch/steering lock mounting bolts (phillips) If shearhead bolts, cut a slot in the head with a chisel, then use a flat blade screwdriver to remove. You can get to these two screws by turning the steering wheel first one way, then the other. (Once you get in there, you'll see removing it is not a big issue)
- Remove switch assembly from steering column.
- Install is reverse of removal procedure
Posted on Jun 08, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 26, 2013 | 1989 Isuzu Trooper
Mar 07, 2011 | 1989 Toyota Celica Liftback
Aug 12, 2010 | 1989 Isuzu Pickup 2WD
Feb 04, 2010 | 1989 Isuzu Trooper
Dec 19, 2009 | 1989 Ford F 250
Oct 17, 2009 | 1992 Isuzu Pickup
1,187 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!