How to Replace the Heater Corein a Chevy Impala
Replacing your Chevy Impala'sheater core is no easy task. There are several parts you must carefully removeor reposition to disconnect the core from the heating, ventilating and airconditioning (HVAC) module. This module and the core are located behind thecar's floor ducts.
1. Jack up the car
and drain the Impala's cooling system.Loosen the water pump's drain bolt and let the coolant drain into a pan. Closethe drain bolt and lower the car afterward.
2. Remove the heater outlet and inlet hose from theheater core (reposition the hose clamps to do so). Take off the right consoleextension panel, body control module and left side extension panel on the frontfloor console
3. Disconnect the leftinstrument center support bracket (pull away the carpet at its bottom to reachthe nuts). Remove the accelerator control pedal from its position in the frontof the dash.
4. Disengage the center floorducts by raising the outlet duct while pushing the ducts down. Rotate theoutlet duct forward in the car and pull down to remove it from the HVAC module.
5. Use a small chisel to removeall the heat stakes from the heater core cover. Loosen the nut behind the fuelline bracket. Remove the dash panel's stud at the heater hoses.
6. Pull the core's cover downenough to reach the HVAC module's locating pins. Slide the cover rearward untilthe drain tube clears the dash front. Remove the cover by sliding it down,rearward, and to the right. You can now remove the core.Installing the New Core
1. Install the new core into the HVAC module,attaching a new seal onto the drain tube. Attach the core cover from the rightside, sliding it up and forward into position.
2. Align the draintube with the front dash hole and the core cover holes with the HVAC locatingpins. Install the core cover screws, cutting and folding back the soundinsulator near the center screw to ease that screw's installation.
3. Reinstall the dash panel stud at theheater hoses, tightening the nut behind the fuel line bracket. Align the centerfloor duct with the HVAC and push it up while rotating rearward to install it.Put the floor ducts and outlet duct back into the Chevy Impala.
4. Attach theaccelerator control pedal. Pull the carpet back and position the left centersupport bracket, then tighten the bracket nuts.
5. Reconnect theleft side front floor console extension panel and the body control module tothe car.
6. Put on the outlethose and inlet hoses to the core, securing them with their clamps. Refill thecooling system with the proper mixture of water and coolant.
Read more: How to Replace the Heater Core in a Chevy Impala ' eHow.com