Question about Mercedes-Benz 420-Series
Procedure for front wheel bearings replacement and related jobs
Remove wheel hub from steering knuckle:
1. Remove wheel.
2. Remove brake assembly, and hang it on suspension spring with wire. (wire brush the caliper outer covering, rag cleaning the surface with pre-all solution; let it dry, brush on a thin coat of rust encapsulator if required).
3. Remove brake disk;
4. Clean the caliper bolt holes threads in the hub using an old bolt with a slot cut in its threads.
5. Clean the removed bolts, apply Thread Locker Blue to end section so they can be reused.
6. Remove contact spring for radio interference suppression.
7. Slacken the clamping screw with a 5mm hexagon socket.
8. Unscrew the hub nut with adjustable wrench;
9. Remove the thrust washer.
10. Pull the hub assembly away from the steering knuckle.
Remove old outer races and insert new ones:
1. Remove the bearings from hub.
2. Remove the outer races of both inner and outer bearings.( you will need a drift and hammer to remove )
3. Clean the hub thoroughly, clean center mating surface with brake cleaner.
4. Pre-cool the races in freezer, and pre-heat the hub body up to 400?°F for easy installation.
5. Insert new outer races of both inner and outer bearings.
6. Clean the center hole thoroughly after both outer races are in place.
7. Pack the bearings with high-temp grease thoroughly and insert into the races.
8. Add the sealer ring to the inner bearing.hope this is what you needed and yes they are pressed in but are relatively easy to knock out..be sure to knock them back evenly into the hub...hope this helps
Posted on Sep 07, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 17, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 19, 2012 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
May 31, 2011 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Aug 12, 2010 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Apr 03, 2010 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Feb 14, 2010 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Jan 05, 2010 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Jan 04, 2010 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
Jun 07, 2009 | 1991 Mercedes-Benz 420
190 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: