Question about Isuzu Pickup
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
I hope I can help, I had the same problem on my 2001. I called the dealership and they said 375.00 + parts to fix. Being mechanically inclined I decidet to try it myself. Please understand, this is not exact, but is a pretty good guide. To open from the outside, make sure doors are unlocked(mine relocked after a minute or so) place a screwdriver, long and thin, into the slot that the handle passes through the door on the right side. Raise the handle of the driver, and you should be pressing down on a cable that operates the latch. the door should release. If you cant do that, from the inside, remove the two side trim pieces. Then remove the inner door panel, One screw under plastic cap on handle, one under cap on strap... and pop off all plastic buttons(hidden) between the door and cover, a 1" putty knife will work for this. You will see the cable that used to connect to the handle. Remove the cable by pulling it through the slot(apparent when you get to it) and now remove the two screws that hold the handle on. Also, you have to remove a screw from the passengers side of the cover plate over the handle. the plate will slide(not sure which way now), and it will come off. replace the handle and etc..... inreverse.. Took me 25 minutes, start to finish. Further questions, let me know. remember, mine was 2001 Sienna.
Posted on Jun 26, 2008
try haynes.com or your local parts store for a Haynes manual. For around $20 they are frequently as good or better for home mechanic than factory manuals for $100.
Posted on Nov 06, 2008
SOURCE: How do I replace tailgate handle
I just finished replacing mine. It took about an hour. Here's my step by step.
1. take off the two outside bolts on the inside of the tailgate behind the handle.
2. Now gently pull off the cladding around the latch. It is still held on by two christmas tree style holders.
3. Tie some long ropes to each of the two rods that the handle pulls together. You don't want them getting away from you.
4. Now free the rods from the plastic clamps. This is the point of no return. Mine would not go back together. A small screw driver shoved in from the end along the seam will pop them easily.
5. Now remove the remaining 3 T40 bolts on the back of the tailgate.
6. The handle assembly is now free to come out. Hold on to it as you lift the tailgate back up. Don't shut the tailgate all the way.
7. Work the old handle out. I did not take any of the cladding off. It took about five minutes of gentle manipulations to get it out. I did have to pull on the metal tongue that comes up right in front of it.
8. Pop the replacement plastic clamps into their corrent places in the new handle. Hinge side down. Don't fasten them.
9. Put the new handle in the same way you took the old one out.
10. Attach with the 3 T40 bolts. Dont fully tighten, just snug. I would recommend some blue loctite as well.
11. Now shut the tailgate so that it latches. Place the pull rods in the plastic clamps and fasten them. Don't pull on the rods, just put them in the clamps.
12. Your door should work now. Try it a couple of times. Pull on both sides of the tailgate to make sure each is held tight. If so, tighten up all the bolts, put the cladding on, and your done.
13. If your door won't latch, the rods are being pulled together too much. Undue the plastic clamps, push the rods apart and reset them in the clamps.
Posted on Nov 23, 2008
There should be an access panel on the bed side of the tail gate. If you have a liner installed on the tail gate you will need to remove it to gain access to the panel. Panel is probably held on with torx screws but you may get lucky and have regular bolts. just remove panel and the lock rods are held to the handle with little clips, just pop them off and remove the nuts that hold the handle assembly onto the tailgate, install is just the revers order.
Posted on Jun 21, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 13, 2017 | Isuzu Cars & Trucks
Oct 12, 2016 | Isuzu Cars & Trucks
Sep 06, 2016 | Isuzu Pickup Cars & Trucks
Feb 11, 2015 | Isuzu Cars & Trucks
Mar 24, 2014 | 1993 Isuzu Spacecab
Mar 18, 2013 | 2007 Honda Odyssey
Feb 17, 2011 | 2001 Isuzu Rodeo
Mar 15, 2009 | 1995 Isuzu Rodeo
Oct 20, 2017 | Isuzu Cars & Trucks
71 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: