Question about 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Steps to replace the battery
Air Cleaner Removal
1. Loosen the air intake hose clamp (with a flathead screwdriver), which holds the intake tube to the air box lid.
2. Once the hose clamp is loosened, pop open the two spring-loaded clamps on the left and front side of the air box. The clamps help secure the lid to the air box. On the back of the air box lid there are 4 plastic slots, which match up with 4 corresponding tabs on the air box. In order to unhinge the lid from the air box, slide the lid away from you about an inch and gently lift the lid up. Ensure that the lid is free from the air box hinge; then carefully disconnect the air intake hose from the lid at the hose clamp and remove the lid from the engine compartment.
3. Lift the air filter out of the air box. 4. Disconnect the PCV hose from the lower air box.
5. The lower air box is removed by just tugging straight up on it. It will pop out as it's held in place by two rubber pins that wedge into the indentations in the plastic air box.
6. Disconnect the battery terminals - negative 1st, the positive. 7. Remove the anchor bolt at the base of the battery using a 1/2" socket. 8. Lift battery out (with a battery carrier strap). Save the thermal blanket wrap to slip on the new battery.
Cleanup and Installation
9. Clean the terminals by dipping in a cup filled with baking soda and warm water. Use a battery terminal cleaning tool, wire brush to remove the corrosion or a tiny screw driver to scrape with. Rinse with water and clean up the tray with a towel.
10. Install the thermal blanket on new battery. Note the position of the notches on the blanket when replacing it. Lift into car and slide the battery as much as possible towards fender. Reinstall retaining bolt.
11. Install felt washers ($1) to prevent corrosion on the terminals
12. Reinstall terminals (positive 1st, then negative). Apply some grease or Vaseline to the tops of the terminals.
13. Reinstall air cleaner box. Carefully line it up and push down Make sure to seat it completely when you reinstall it.
14. Reinstall filter; cover. Make sure clips are on tight.
Thank you for using fixya and good luck
Posted on Aug 05, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 30, 2011 | 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Nov 18, 2010 | 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Aug 24, 2010 | 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Dec 04, 2009 | 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
May 21, 2009 | 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Mar 01, 2009 | 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Feb 08, 2009 | 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
383 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: