Question about 1996 Ford Escort 4 Door
Please follow the step by step solution given below carefully:
10mm box end wrench ratchet handle 10mm socket 10mm deep socket (much easier for one bolt) 1/2" socket 13mm box end wrench tire ramps or a floor jack with stands
1. Jack up car and disconnect the negative (black) battery cable. use 10mm wrench to loosen terminal clamp.
2. Remove the 5 or six dust shroud bolts on the passenger side, 10mm socket, set dust shroud aside.
3. Remove the 2 hanging bolts on the coolant resivoir (the deep socket and a extension bar are helpful here) set the resivoir (with tubing still attached) aside.
4. Now you can easily get to the accessory belt. Follow the procedure on this (http://www.rldassociates.com/zx2/howto/belt.htm) page to get the v-ribbed belt off.
5. Remove the two molex plugs, use a flat head screwdrive to lift the catches on these plugs. Just below these two, locate the positive lead from the alt. it has a soft red cap. Use the 10mm socket to take it off.
6. There are 3 gold tone mounting bolts for the alternator, 1 up top, 2 underneath, use the 1/2" to take off the bottom two and then support the alt. while you take out the top one.
7. Its free! It might take a little rotation to get it out past the lines.
8. Hang onto the junk alternator, it fetches a core charge for up to 75$ Autozone will sell you another one for 109 plus tax (with the old one)
9. Retrace your steps with the new one and your off.
Posted on Aug 04, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 21, 2015 | Ford Cars & Trucks
Oct 25, 2011 | 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS CVT Sedan
Jul 22, 2011 | Ford Escort Cars & Trucks
Jan 22, 2011 | 1997 Plymouth Breeze
Oct 22, 2010 | Dodge Ram 1500 Cars & Trucks
Oct 07, 2010 | 1996 Nissan Pickup
Feb 07, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Caravan
Jan 16, 2010 | 1998 Ford Escort
Jun 27, 2009 | 1996 Buick Skylark
Jun 14, 2009 | 1996 Nissan Sentra
81 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: