2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue V6-214 3.5L VIN H SFI
Spark Plug: Service and Repair
J 43094 Spark Plug Boot Puller
1. Turn OFF the ignition switch.
2. Remove the ignition coil assembly.
3. Use the J 43094 in order to remove the spark plug boots from the spark plugs.
NOTE: Allow the engine to cool before removing the spark plugs. Attempting to remove the spark plugs from a hot engine may cause the plug
threads to seize causing damage to cylinder head threads.
NOTE: Clean the spark plug recess area before removing the spark plug. Failure to do so could result in engine damage because of dirt or
foreign material entering the cylinder head, or by the contamination of the cylinder head threads. The contaminated threads may prevent the
proper seating of the new plug. Use a thread chaser to clean the threads of any contamination.
4. Remove the spark plugs from the engine.
NOTE: Use only the spark plugs specified for use in the vehicle. Do not install spark plugs that are either hotter or colder than those specified for the
vehicle. Installing spark plugs of another type can severely damage the engine.
NOTE: Check the gap of all new and reconditioned spark plugs before installation. The pre-set gaps may have changed during handling. Use a round
feeler gage to ensure an accurate check. Installing the spark plugs with the wrong gap can cause poor engine performance and may even damage the
1. Measure the spark plug gap on the spark plugs to be installed. Compare the measurement to the gap specifications. Refer to Spark Plug Usage.
Correct as necessary.
NOTE: Be sure that the spark plug threads smoothly into the cylinder head and the spark plug is fully seated. Use a thread chaser, if necessary,
to clean threads in the cylinder head. Cross-threading or failing to fully seat the spark plug can cause overheating of the plug, exhaust blow-by, or
NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
2. Install the spark plugs to the engine.
Tighten the spark plug to 20 N.m (15 lb ft).
3. Install the spark plug boots to the ignition coil assembly.
4. Install the ignition coil assembly.