Question about 1992 Ford F150 SuperCab

1 Answer

Electrical burning smell and smoke under dash when driving then died wont start back up, heard a pop, all fuses and relays are good i have spark and fuel in rail, is the computer dead?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Top Expert:

    An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

  • Ford Master
  • 76,164 Answers

Check the ignition starter switch 1st, it is the main switch that the ignition key truns on to power up the electrical system, it is on the top of the steering column tube near the bottom, it is driven by a rod from the ign key cylinder

Posted on Aug 03, 2010

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My charger Wont start. Has new battery. Everything else seems fine. Changed the #9 and 22 fuse. Still wont start


Fuses don't make a burning smell when they blow. Yours is far more serious, something has shorted out and irreparably damaged an electrical component or part of the wiring harness. You need a mechanic, preferably at a dealership who have the diagnostic equipment and vehicle history to know where to look.

May 27, 2016 | 2009 Dodge Charger

1 Answer

Why is my 2003 land rover Freelander burning 20amp fuel system fuses


You have an electrical short in that circuit. The fuse is doing its job, preventing a fire (barely). You need to find where the short is before trying to operate this vehicle again, or you will end up setting it on fire. Look for the burned/melted wires.

Feb 14, 2016 | 2003 Land Rover Freelander

1 Answer

I have a 2000 eclipse gs, I wired up an aftermarket jvc stereo system, even added amp and subs, it drives fine and has given me no problems for months...than suddenly the radio started randomly shutting...


I'll give you the correct answer, but I know you're not going to want to hear it.
Every step you did, following discovery of the first blown fuse, was the wrong thing to do, and made a simple short in wiring (or internal short in the radio or amp) now a major electrical issue.
When a fuse blows, that is telling you that there is a short somewhere "upstream" of that fuse. With the burnt wiring or burnt electronics smell, that typically is due to using a fuse (or wiring circuit) that has far greater amp rating than the gauge of wiring or devices that are connected to that fuse/circuit. Once you smell anything burnt, the simple short has now spread and increased in electrical damage.

You basically forced the electrical system to do far more damage by disconnecting the battery, replacing the under hood fuse, and forcing current/electricity to a shorted out wiring circuit or shorted component (radio or amp). People always make the fatal mistake of disregarding what a fuse is intended for, and what it should tell you, and they try to force faulty/damaged wiring or equipment to work by repeatedly shoving new fuses back in (frequently with higher amp rating). This makes what started as a simple problem, much much worse.

Now, your first step in repair/recovery is to completely remove the amp and radio, inspect each thoroughly (and smell each for burnt smell), but more importantly examine every inch of EVERY wire that leads to these 2 units all the way from the underhood fuse box to the components themselves (not easy, as you know). I suspect there may be a loom of wires that now has a major short with burnt/melted insulation.

Nov 03, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

No power to my ignition switch on my 1990 Pace Arrow


idk if the first post posted so im going to try again. trace your wires throu the firewall and see where they go. then pull that relay and test for live wires. if the ciruit is hot and the relay isnt pushing anything. you found your problem. also check headlight relay. may run ignition switch.

Mar 13, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

300zx started smoking then died out


Sounds to me like you had an electrical burn out or near fire condition. Water may have gotten into an open area like wiring harness or fuse block and caused a short and what you were smelling is the insulation or other plastics burning. I would take the car to a auto electric specialist for diagnostics.

Feb 13, 2014 | 1992 Nissan 300ZX

2 Answers

Electrical burnt smell


If you had a short in the starter motor windings and held the key, you'd get a click and a burning smell. That would be the insulation burning off the electrical windings. There's a 40-amp max fuse in this circuit.

Jul 21, 2017 | 1995 Chevrolet K1500

1 Answer

SMOKE COMING FROM DASH, LOUD POP. CAR WONT START. IT TURNS OVER BUT WONTS START 92 DIAMANTE


if its smoking thats a shorted system..if you feel safe with fixing it do so otherwise get rid of that deathtrap..

Dec 25, 2013 | 1992 Mitsubishi Diamante

1 Answer

Battery, starter, and alternator good, but car won't start, or hesitates to start. What is wrong?


Check your fuses first under the hood and under the dash. Better hope they blew before you did major damage. If you find the ones that blew check what they ran and start checking out your electrical system in that area.Hope whatever started burning was just hot wires and not a ruined electrical system. If there is extra stereos wires or security systems installed (not factory) check that area and if possible disconnect them that may take care of the problem

Apr 11, 2012 | 2004 Chevrolet Impala

2 Answers

I was driving down the road when all of the sudden i smell burning plastic.I pulled over turned my radio down stepped out popped the hood .I didn;t see any problems i cranked my car and my radio was dead...


arent you still under warranty?! check the positive terminal of the battery(common gm issue). check the wiring at the starter motor and look for burned wires. if there is consider the warranty. BY THE WAY, IF YOU HAVE HEAVY SMOKE AGAIN, DO NOT "POP" THE HOOD! IT CAN CAUSE AN AIR FEED AND POSSIBLY IGNITE A FIRE IN YOUR FACE. ive put out car fires in iraq. its not fun getting or treating people for burns. let me know if you need further assistance. cheers

Jan 20, 2010 | 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe

1 Answer

Not starting replaced alt,starter,solenoid,and battery is good


It sounds like the wires from the battery to the starter solinoid are burned out, possibly even more of them to the main fuse box under the hood. You will have to start looking for the burned wires you can already smell and replace them. Starter and Battery area are a good place to start.

Dec 12, 2008 | 2002 Ford F150 Regular Cab

Not finding what you are looking for?
1992 Ford F150 SuperCab Logo

496 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

76132 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

fordexpert

Level 3 Expert

5520 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...