I cant remove the ignition lock cylinder on my 1976 caprice. all the pics and directions i find say that all i have to do is unscrew a screw that holds the lock cylinder in place but there seems to be no such screw. im stuck and am in dying need of assistance. thanks
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Remove the horn button, nut the pull the wheel off with a puller.Remove the lock plate retaining spring using a Lock plate press. Remove the directional switch screws (3).. Lift that switch out of the way to remove the ignition lock screww Pull out ign Lock Cylinder
The lock cylinder is probably worn (assuming that you have the right key!) Try wiggling the key while trying to turn it. Try ay other copies that you have. If the key locks the steering you may have to move the steering wheel to get the key to turn.
4. Press and hold the driver side door lock switch in the UNLOCK position until step 8.
5. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder)
6. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and remove the key. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder)
7. Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder. (Do not turn the ignition key in the lock cylinder) Leave key in the ignition cylinder.
8. Release the door lock switch. The vehicle will sound three beeps in order to verify the Program Mode has been activated.
9. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together on the keyless remote and hold unitl the vehicle beeps twice to verify that the keyless remote has been successfully programmed. This may take approximately 15 seconds.
10. Perform the previous step (9) to program up to four keyless remotesm, including any old ones.
here are the instruction the first set are the instruction on how to remove the turn signal switch as you will need them to remove the ignition
Removal & Installataion of turn signal switch
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the steering wheel.
the anti-theft cover retaining screws on 1976 models and lift the cover
from the steering column. It is not necessary to completely remove
Depress the lockplate and
pry the round wire snapring from the steering shaft groove. A lockplate
compressor tool is available for compressing the lockplate.
Remove the lockplate, directional signal canceling cam, upper bearing preload spring, and thrust washer from the steering shaft.
Move the directional signal actuating lever to the right turn position and remove the lever.
Depress the hazard warning light switch and remove the button by turning it counterclockwise.
Remove the directional signal wiring harness connector block from its mounting bracket on the right side of the lower column.
vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, use a stiff wire,
such as a paper clip, to depress the lock tab which retains the shift
quadrant light wire in the connector block.
Remove the directional signal switch retaining screws and pull the switch and wiring harness from the steering column.
the wiring harness of the new switch into position and carefully align
the switch assembly. make sure that the actuating lever pivot is
correctly aligned and seated in the upper housing pivot boss prior to
installing the retaining screws.
Install the directional signal lever and actuate the directional signal switch to assure correct operation.
Place the thrust washer, spring, and directional signal canceling cam on the upper end of the steering shaft.
the lockplate splines with the steering shaft splines and place the
lockplate in position with the directional signal canceling cam shaft
protruding through the dogleg opening in the lockplate.
Install the snapring.
Install the anti-theft cover.
Install the steering wheel and connect the negative battery cable.
Check the operation of the turn signal switch.
Removal & Installation of ignition lock switch
Disconnect the battery ground cable.
the turn signal switch as described earlier in this section. You don't
have to remove the switch completely, just set it aside.
Insert the key. Position the key as follows.
1976-83: With manual transmission, put it in the ON position; with automatic, put it in OFF/LOCK.
1984-86: Two detent positions, clockwise, beyond OFF/LOCK.
Working through the slot next to the turn signal switch mounting boss, use a thin screwdriver to release the lock cylinder.
install, insert the key in the new lock cylinder. Hold the sleeve and
turn the key clockwise until it stops. Align the cylinder retaining tab
with the housing slot and insert the cylinder. Push the cylinder in,
rotate to engage, then push in until the retaining tab engages the