Remove a rear tail light assembly & install a new one
Hi, can anyone tel me ..how do I remove a rear tail light assembly and install a new one? the plastic lens is cracked so whenever it rains, water gets in and renders my blinker useless. (Driving around without a blinker is NOT a good thing)
Any help is greatly appreciated.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: remove a rear tail light assembly & install a new...
Open the hatch (or trunk if it's a convertible) and peal back the back the trim against the rear most panel. You'll be able to see a lot of large plastic wing nuts. Unscrew them and pull the lense straight out.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1) Open trunk
2) Remove small round plastic access panel with a flat tip screw driver by prying open
3) Remove flat tip screw holding tail light assembly
4) Remove tail light assembly by pulling outward, careful not to break plastic guide/nub
5) Disconnect wiring connectors
6) Remove plastic housing access plate on back of tail light assembly by twisting/turning tabs until they click and then lift access plate from tail light assembly
7) When viewing the the bulbs, the turn signal bulb is the bottom left bulb
8) Install in reverse order, ensuring tail light seal seats properly during installation
Open the rear liftgate. On the inner edge of each tail light assembly you will find two screws. Remove the two screws. Now grasp the plastic tail light assembly firmly, and pull it strongly backwards. It is held in place with three spring-loaded clamps. Once the clamps release, it will pop out.
There are two lamp harnesses attached to the tail light assembly - one for the reverse lamp, and one for the running/brake/turn signal lamp. To remove either lamp harness from the tail light assembly, turn the harness 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, then gently pull it out of the assembly. The light bulb can be easily pulled from its socket in the lamp harness once removed from the assembly. Installation is reverse of removal.
Most of the time you can simply remove the tail light assembly from the car pretty easy and just a few screws. If it sdoes not have the screws going through the front of the housing then its rear mount and must be done by lifting the tailgate to get access. Once in the vehicle you should beable to remove the plastic housing covering up the assembly from the inside. Remove the 3-4 screws or bolts and the tail light assembly. Install the new one just the reverse. Pretty easy just take your time.