Question about 1998 Mercedes-Benz M-Class
the INITIALIZATION PROCEDURE If the
sun roof is not working.
If the sunroof does not close or open automatically, use the following procedure to return sunroof operation to normal.
1. Close the sunroof if it is not in the closed position. It may be necessary to repeatedly push the switch to close the sunroof.
2. Press and hold the TILT UP switch the sunroof will tilt up. Release the button.
3. Press and hold the TILT UP switch again. Do not release the switch, keep pressure on it. After 4 seconds of depressing, the sunroof will full close.
4. Initializing procedure is complete. Confirm proper operation of the sunroof (slide open, slide close, tilt up,tilt down.)
But If the above mentioned steps are not helping to make the sunroof work then
disconnect the car battery for a minute or two, then after reconnecting the battery Try the same procedure as mentioned above.
But if this procedure is not making any difference then the problem is electrical.the wires connected to the sunroof motor needs to be checked.If the wires are checked OK then the the motor must be faulty.Check for the short in wires by continuity tester and voltage to the motor by meter. It will show 12 volts at the motor.Also check for any blockage in the sunroof way from where it moves up and down.Also check the wind deflector if its blocking the roof to get completely close.To confirm its not deflector problem.Remove the deflector and check closing the roof.Remove the deflector, the arms, and retaining clips.Then check.They block the roof . if the arms and the clips are either rusted away or cracked.
For the most part all Factory Sunroofs that have a Front Mechanical Sunroof Deflector are
Dependent on the Sunroof Glass or Outer Sunroof Panel to Raise or Lower The Sunroof Deflector.
The Factory Wind Deflector Arms are spring loaded in many cases, Rust over Time, Debris like :Leaves, Egg Corns, Just plain Dirt & Dust will cause a lot of problems, but most of the time its lack of maintenance.
Over a period of time the "ARMS" will either weaken from "AGE" & "HEAT" or cause the Sunroof Not to Close properly.
When you open the Outer Panel so the Panel retracts back into the Sunroof Cartridge and then again comes forward you will find the Outer Panel and the Factory Sunroof Deflector in the Front Meet Head on and wont allow you to Close the Sunroof.
The Factory Wind Deflectors are really not effective enough to really make a difference within the Cabin of your car. If your looking for a True Wind Deflector with no Mechanical part to get in the way of the outer Sunroof Panel make sure you purchase one that uses Stainless Steel Clips that anchor just under the Metal Lip of the Opening of your Sunroof. No Rust Issues with Stainless Parts.
Another thought to consider if your Sunroof Still wont Close and your lost for options you can always remove the Sunroof Motor from the Sunroof Cassette, this will do several things Good and perhaps not so Good.
1)Removing the Sunroof Motor from The Cassette will release the Sunroof Cables, you can now reach up and manually pull or push close your Sunroof assuming their are no broken parts lodged on or in the Sunroof Tracks. Once closed make sure you re-install the Sunroof Motor back into the hole to lock the Sunroof Cables from moving.
Thanks. Keep updated for any more query. You can rate this solution and show your appreciation
Posted on Jul 11, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
To check the condition of your original sunroof guides:
- Gl*** in closed position.
- Locate & remove 3 torx bolts on each side of sunroof glass. Lift glass out of sunroof opening & set aside in a safe place.
- Locate "J" shaped cover plate at front of sunroof track assembly. Remove 2 torx bolts from each cover plate.
- Lift up bracket to remove.
- Inspect the plastic guides on each side. The sunroof cables attach to guides on front outer corner. Inspect this area closely for damage.
- Do not operate the sunroof with the J plates removed.Troubleshooting:If the sunroof guides are not broken & the glass is a uniform height along the rear edge your problem may be a stripped gear inside the motor. The motor has a manual override:
- Get access to the motor by removing the map light/switch console or lowering the front of the headliner.
- Insert a large standard screwdriver into the nylon bushing at the center of the motor hub. Push up & turn the screwdriver to manually move the sunroof glass. If the unit will fully open & close manually, you most likely only need a replacement motor.
If your sunroof is stuck in the open position follow these steps to get it closed:
- Remove the glass.
- Try to close the unit without the glass. Many times one side will still be operational and close correctly.
- Try to slide the inoperable lift arm forward. If it moves, slide it forward until it stops.
- You now need to slide the original plastic guide forward to lower the arm to the closed position. Using a standard screwdriver, push it forward. The lift arm should begin to lower.
- If the lift arm will still not fully lower, remove the J plate as explained above, sometimes the sunroof cable will need to be lifted up to allow the guide to fully slide forward.
- Reinstall glass.
May 21, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
The control modules can communicate via the serial data link.
May 09, 2015 | 2001 Cadillac DeVille
Aug 02, 2014 | 2004 Subaru Forester
Apr 04, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
Feb 01, 2013 | 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe
Jun 05, 2012 | Chevrolet Cavalier Cars & Trucks
Aug 31, 2009 | 2001 Mazda Tribute
Jun 16, 2009 | 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Aug 10, 2008 | 1986 BMW 3 Series
372 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: