Question about 1983 Chevrolet Blazer

2 Answers

Replacing freeze plugs withyout taking flywheel off and ......

Transmission is backed off the rear of the engine block to replace a freeze plug that was the problem, after I replaced one just forward and above the starter on the right side of the block that I thought was the whole problem. I don't to take the flywheel off if there are no more lurking in a blind spot behind it, so I am currious because it was suggested that there are 2 freeze plugs on the rear of the block.

Posted by on

  • Raymond A. Yoder Sr. Jul 06, 2010

    What engine?

  • ecesisdynami Jul 06, 2010

    1983 chevy blazer S10 with 4 wheel drive 2.8 litre V6



2 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.


    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 66 Answers

HI,Yes you have a total of 8 freeze plugs on this engine,2 at the rear of the engine behind the flywheel/flexplate,2 on the front of the engine and 2 on each side of the block.1 on each side hides behind the motor mounts.Hope this helps.Thank You for using fixya. please rate this if it helps.Thank You,iluv2fish.... Ray....

Posted on Jul 06, 2010

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Brigadier General:

    An expert that has over 10,000 points.

  • Master
  • 3,092 Answers

Yes transmission and fly wheel will have to come off to replace the rear freeze plug's on the engine block, yes there is some freeze plug's back there.

Posted on Jul 06, 2010

Testimonial: "Hallelulia and thaks a million, it is because of feedback from people like you that people like me can keep our heads above water thanks again"


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

I have antifreeze coolant leaking from the rear of my engine and want to gain excess to my rear freeze plugs. Do I pull my transmission to change the rear freeze plugs on the 1989 crown Victoria?

Yes, you have to pull the transmission. But look it over closely. Most likely the coolant is coming from somewhere else. I have never seen or replaced a bad freeze plug back there. Water can't get to them to rust them out from the outside in. Only if you use water only to cool the engine. Heater hoses and the intake manifold gaskets can cause a leak in this area.

Apr 25, 2015 | 1989 Ford Crown Victoria

1 Answer

Got a leak at the back of the engine after a freeze on a 1996 Ford f-150 v8 where are the freeze plugs back there

You have to remove the transmission to get to the freeze plugs on the back of the engine. Remove transmission and flywheel and you will see the freeze plug. Replace the plugs in the side of the block as well if you replace them.

Dec 09, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I have cooler leak,Between Motor and transmission i think has block engine metallic seal damage.

Your problem is the freeze plug located between the rear of the motor and the flywheel and you need to remove the transmission to replace the freeze plug to fix your problem. Good Luck ! Michael...

Oct 11, 2011 | 1998 Honda Passport

2 Answers

Where are all the freeze plug located on 4.6 w/auto. is there one between the block & transmission

Yes, there are expansion plugs (freeze plugs) on both sides of the engine block and at the rear of the engine block between the engine and transmission. There are also a couple in the ends of the cylinder heads.

With all that said, I would like to add that many times with that engine, the heater tube and connecting hoses can leak and be mistaken for a rear expansion plug leaking. I would definately check this before pulling the transmission out.

There is a tube that runs from the back of the water pump under the intake manifold and out the rear of the engine where it hooks up to the heater hose/heater core. This tube has a small hose connecting it to the back of the water pump. There is also a hole in the back of the engine block that will allow antifreeze from under the intake manifold to leak into the transmission bell housing area. When this tube or hose leaks, it often gets mistaken for a leaking rear expansion plug.

It is very easy to check for this. Remove the serpentine belt and remove the alternator and look under the intake manifold down in the "valley" between the cylinder heads. If there is antifreeze in there, the hose or the tube is leaking. Look at the picture below. Item #3 is the tube and hose assembly I am talking about. Usually, just the hose is leaking. It should be replaced with a short piece of SILICONE heater hose. On some of the vehicles, there are 2 hose clamps. On others, the end of the hose that is attached to the tube has a crimped collar on it. If yours is like this, you can fix it by carefully cutting the crimp collar off and replacing the hose using band clamps. (screw-type)

Also look for antifreeze leaking into this area from the front intake manifold runner. They tend to leak on the front runner near where the thermostat housing is located. These will also leak into the valley area and run out the back of the engine. If the manifold is leaking, chances are it is warped. DORMAN makes a replacement intake manifold kit just for this purpose because it has been so common. It is also very easy to check for this with the alternator removed.
The DORMAN part number for your vehicle is 615-178 (See second picture below)



Sep 21, 2011 | 1996 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

Freeze plug near the transmission has jumped out can you install another freezeplug without dropping the transmission

If the defective Freeze Plug is located at the BACK of the engine block, then the repair must include transmission removal. It will also be necessary to remove the engine flexplate/flywheel. More detailed information can be provided when you include Make, Model, and Engine code (size).

Mar 14, 2011 | Ford Taurus Cars & Trucks

1 Answer


More then likely could be a rear engine block freeze plug, transmission will have to be remove, to replace freeze plug.

Sep 14, 2010 | 1994 Chevrolet Astro

1 Answer

Leaking water from the back of the engine . it comes out of the bell housing of transmission. where is it coming from and how do i fix it????

Water is leaking from the engine block rear freeze plugs, transmission will have to be remove to replace freeze plugs, there's two, I would also have the rear main seal replace at the same time, there there already, or if it starts to leak later, you will have to have the transmission remove again to replace seal, hope this was very helpful.

Aug 20, 2010 | Chevrolet Camaro Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

Locations of all freeze plug????

If 6 cylinder on side of block ( passenger side ) both ends of cylinder head and one on back of block between trans and engine. 8 cylinder both sides of engine block, both ends of cylinder heads and back of block between trans and block.

Jan 02, 2010 | 1989 Ford F 150

1 Answer


Yes. Generally there are two on the rear of the block. What most people do not understand is that the "freeze plugs" are not put there to serve that purpose and won't save a block during a freeze up. The actual function is to allow removal of the "stuffing" used when the block is being cast, in order to keep the internal water jackets open. They are actually called welsh plugs.
You are looking at removal of the transmission and transfer case as well as the flywheel Cost of that depends on local labor rates. The freeze plugs themselves are rather inexpensive. Being fairly inaccessible, when replacing those particular ones I always use brass plugs made for marine engines. Even though externally protected by the bellhousing, they generally fail from the inside out, making the brass plugs a good option.
good luck

Dec 23, 2009 | 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 Answers

Getting space between trans and block 1993 caravan 3.0

unfortunately the only answer is to take the trans out of your way. you would need plenty of space in order to pry out old freeze plug and hammer in new one, of course with freeze plug installer.

Feb 27, 2009 | 1993 Dodge Caravan

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

395 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chevrolet Experts


Level 3 Expert

76630 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22219 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8499 Answers

Are you a Chevrolet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides