Question about 1998 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

Found a plastic plunger looking part with an o ring when i took off the transmission cover on my 98 mustang. No idea what it is or where it goes

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 447 Answers

What you most likely are seeing is a plug that the factory puts in the filler tube of the transmision to keep foreign objects from accidentally getting into the transmission while the car is going down the assembly line. Once the transmission is ready to be filled with fluid this usually tan or white plug gets pushed into the pan area and will stay safely there until someone removes the pan for service work at which point it can be discarded.

Posted on Jul 05, 2010

Testimonial: "Great information, Thank you! I spent 90 minutes trying to figure out where it could fit! "


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

1999 f-150 w/v8 i dropped the ****** pan and found a plastic dome shaped plunger with o-ring. i have no idea what it is or where it goes. i do know the truck dont go. please help me.

it must be transmission pan! That plastic piece is what is installed at factory when trans is built to plug dip stick hole. When they install dip stick tube they just push the plug into pan it doesn`t bother anything. It has nothing with truck moveing been there since new--- good nluck

Aug 17, 2011 | 1999 Ford F150 Regular Cab

1 Answer

I changed the fluid in the transmission and found a type of plunger in the pan. It has a o-ring around the fat end. Could not see where it goes.

Thats normal. discard the plunger, this is a factory cap that is used in the shipping of the tranny and is then pushed through to the inside of the pan when dipstick is installed at the factory, just remove it and reinstall the pan, good day.

May 28, 2011 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I changed the filter on my transmission and when I took it a part there was a piece laying in my transmission it looks like a little plunger with a rubber ring on it I dont know where it goes

The plug is placed in the filler tube hole during assy. As the vehicle goes down the assy line the fill tube is installed in the trans which pushes the plug into the pan. So in otherwords you can throw the plug away. Its how ford keeps dust out of the trans until it is installed in the vehicle

Oct 27, 2010 | Mercury Grand Marquis Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

2002 Ford Mustang will not shift from park

transmission, u can also look for the bypass under some plastic covering next to the shifter, its there for mechanics

May 08, 2010 | 2002 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

I cant get the power sliding door alarm to stop dinging.

I have a 2006 SV6 with the power sliding doors. The problem that I found was with the contacts on the door ( They are called plungers) the movable pins were losing connection with the fixed part The plunger is very easy to replace if you can find one. The plungers are covered with a rubber cover and is held in place with 2 plastic pins. My Pontiac dealer could not even find one in his books or even a picture of one, and claimed that he had never had anyone come with a door problem. My Chevy dealer said that it came with a wiring harness that is not needed for $154. The cure that I came up with was to take the plunger block apart (it snaps together)and replace the rusted out springs then solder 3" wires to the end of the plunger pins (they solder easy) to the tabs that go to the plug(pop out the tabs or you will melt the plastic. It took about 45 min. now the doors work like new and will never loose contact again

Mar 21, 2010 | 2005 Pontiac Montana

2 Answers

Found a plastic plug with an o-ring on it when i was changing the transmission filter.Is this normal? 2000 V-6 Mustang

The plug is used at the factory to seakl the case until the dip stick tube is pushed down into the hole. The plug is normal and can be discarded.

Mar 07, 2010 | 2000 Ford Mustang

3 Answers

I dropped the auto tranny pan on my 97 3.8v6 mustang. When I dropped the filter, a small plastic piece with a stem on one end anda round end on the other with an o-ring on it fell out. Where soes this go...

Stumann2 you are correct.This is a factory install to keep dirt and debris out while producing the cars.Do not try to reinstall this plug any where on the trans, it is trash, do throw it away.I hope I could help.....

Jan 06, 2010 | 1997 Ford Mustang Cobra

1 Answer

Bell sound will not stop.

Hey Wizz,
Have you checked the "closed door" plungers?
My neighbor had the same problem. I found it to be the drivers side plunger. The plastic retaining ring had broken, leaving the curcuit open. Being two months later, I hope you have found it.
I drove it a half mile...... It was like Chinese water torture. AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Hope this helps.

Apr 26, 2009 | 1996 Ford Mustang

1 Answer

Changing transmission fluid in 200- ford explorer

that is / was a shipping plug , they just stab the dipstick tube in the hole and it pushes that plug inside transmission where it causes no harm , production , what are ya gonna do . just throw it away .

Dec 27, 2008 | 2000 Ford Explorer

1 Answer

I took off the transmission fluid pan and a plastic yellow object

is it ruber on an auto tranny? it should go around the part of the transmision filter that plugs in to the bottom of the tranny, sorry very veige details here, so hope this is what kinda of tranny or what the ring was made of or looked like. let me know if you have more details.

Dec 02, 2008 | 2000 Ford Mustang

Not finding what you are looking for?
1998 Ford Mustang Logo

Related Topics:

200 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

79186 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5677 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides