Question about 1999 Dodge Dakota
Shifter dial out of alignment when you shift gearshift
To adjust the shifter you will need to reise the truck and support the front with jackstands. Block the rear tires. Slide under the truck and look at the shifting rod coming from the steering column. Loosen the the lock screw on the adjustment swivel. Pull bback on the shifting rod and hold pressure on rod while tighting the lock screw. This should take care of the problem. Remember if the shifting rod does not slide freely then clean it off before trying to adjust. Hope this will help you.
Posted on May 28, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 05, 2016 | 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Dec 05, 2014 | 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
Aug 10, 2014 | BMW 318ti Cars & Trucks
Jul 25, 2014 | 1997 Ford Taurus
May 16, 2014 | Chevrolet Blazer Cars & Trucks
Mar 23, 2011 | 2004 Ford Mustang
Welcome to FixYa.com
1. Remove air cleaner and air intake hose assembly.
2. Remove center dash trim panel.
3. Remove center console cup holder assembly.
4. Remove floor console assembly.
5. Remove console side panels.
6. Remove Transmission Control Module ftMJ bracket.
1. Remove TCM.
8. Remove shifter cable from transaxle operating lever by removing nut and clip.
9. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever assembly by removing clip.
10. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever mechanism.
11. Remove cable from firewall grommet by removing grommet assembly nuts.
12. Remove gearshift cable from vehicle.
Lift and rotate the gearshift hand lever into the park (F9 gate position and remove the ignition
key. This confirms the shift lever is in the gated park (F9 position.
After confirming the park gate position. turn the ignition switch . If the starter will operate. the
park gate position is correct. Move the shift lever into the neutral (NJ position. If the starter
will operate in this position, the linkage is properly adjusted. If the starter fails to operate in
either position, linkage adjustment is required.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
2. Place the gearshift lever in park (F9 gate position and remove key.
3. Loosen the cable adjustment screw at the transaxle operating lever.
4. Pull the transaxle operating lever fully forward to the park detent position.
5. Release the park brake, then rock the vehicle to assure it is in park lock. Reset the park
6. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 Nm (10 inch Ibs.J. Gearshift cable should now be
1. Check adjustment by usinq the precedinq procedure.
Thank you for Using FixYa.com
Kind Regards, Lee
Your Master Technician FixYa Expert
Jan 31, 2011 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring
Mar 22, 2010 | 2002 GMC Envoy
May 05, 2009 | 2000 Mercury Villager
119 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: