Question about 1997 Buick LeSabre

1 Answer

1997 Buick LeSabre: Coolant leak due to a black plastic pipe about 5 inches long above the water pump. The pipe has a 90 degree bend and goes into the engine. The other end goes into a structure that has a pulley for the serpentine belt. What is this pipe and what is it attached to? Thanks.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 17 Answers

This i spart of the coolant bypass system on this car the part is avalibe at any good parts store usually in the (HELP!) section

Posted on May 11, 2010


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Removed thermostat due to over heating, water was not circulating in radiator. but now it is leaking by the water pump

if leaking under water pump its a weep hole or bearing to water pump (pump gone bad) if leaking above where thermostat was gasket leak but if overheating was original problem more than likely water pump was and is your problem

Jul 28, 2015 | 1995 Buick LeSabre

1 Answer

I think I have a coolant leak from a pvc elbow piece on the left side of the engine and my car keeps overheating.

Do you have the 3200....or 3600 engine. Is it an elbow right above the water pump housing???? That would be a cooling/heating tube to the heater core. A "PCV" valve recycles, or sucks up unspent air in the crankcase & re-combusts it by re-routing, thru the carburetor, or throtte body. On most these I have worked on, there is a small brass "bleeder" valve in that vicinity on the engine. Hold the base of the bleed still (usually 10mm) & make sure the bleeder valve on top is tight, (usually 7mm). If those are OK, try that small hose, that makes that 90 degree bend there that is about 6 - 9 inches long. When they have ruptured on me, that is usually, preceded by a deteriortion, on the "rear" side where you cannot see it. Always seemed dumb to me, but, the back of the hose, is closest to the valve cover & THE HOT engine. Where else would it deteriorate??

Sep 13, 2011 | 1997 Buick LeSabre

2 Answers

Rubber type plug ( passenger side of radiator) on bottom is dripping; gauge on instrument panel will show hot temperture quickley; even after adding coolant; name the plug and how to replace

That is your radiator plug. You take it out to drain the radiator. You just take it out and put another one in. Is your radiator fans working? It may be the radiator itself. Plus, it may be a coolant temp sensor. If it is a small leak, with full coolant, it wouldn't overheat quickly. Make sure the fans kick on. Check radiator.

Feb 11, 2011 | 1999 Buick Century

2 Answers

1997 Buick Century Overheating

Have someone pressure test the cooling system - you likely have a head gasket leak

Apr 10, 2010 | 1997 Buick Century

2 Answers

Have water leak at 90* hose from mid-block to belt tensioner. how to fix leak where hose goes into block--3.8L

There is a plastic nipple that screws into the intake manifold and that usually breaks. you will need to remove the alternator to get access to the part

Jan 31, 2010 | 1997 Buick LeSabre

2 Answers

I have noticed a couple of drops of anti freeze on the floor the last couple of days the bottom of the car is starting to get wet with antifreeze

Right above the water pump there's a 90 degree elbow that's made out of plastic that comes out of the intake and goes to a heater core hose. That's where mine was leaking. Get it replaced soon because it will get worse. I heard this is common on these 3.8L engine.

Nov 09, 2009 | 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

2 Answers

I have a water leak coming from my engine block. How to repair 2001 Buick 3.8 It is come out of a 5/8 pipe or around it

If it's a hose, best bet is to just replace it, and use new clamps.

If it's leaking where it's connected to the nipple, for a quick fix, you can remove the hose, cut the hose off past the leak, and reattach it.

This requires a little bit of slack in the hose, but if the leak is right at the connection, there should be enough slack in the hose to do this.

May 05, 2009 | 1998 Buick Riviera

1 Answer


Yeah on that vehicle there is a 90 degree plastic elbow that goes from the belt tensioner to the intake manifold and on both ends there are O-rings. Definitely need to repair this as soon as possible. Not sure your technical abilities but you would need to remove the serpentine belt and alternator and a bracket if I'm not mistaken. Usually takes me about 45 minutes to repair but I have been doing it for awhile. Good luck and Happy wrenching!!!

Sep 11, 2008 | 2000 Buick LeSabre

Not finding what you are looking for?
1997 Buick LeSabre Logo

Related Topics:

852 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Buick Experts


Level 3 Expert

76132 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8273 Answers

Are you a Buick Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides