Question about 2008 Dodge Avenger
My 2008 dodge avenger wouldn't shift out of park.i have bought gear shift for it, can you tell me how to install it?
Where did you get the new spring from?
Posted on Sep 02, 2010
Take it back and get your $50 back and save yourself the trouble. It will just break again. You can replace the tiny spring on the shifter assembly in the console. You will need to remove all the plastic covers to get to it but the small pink lever on the drivers side of the assebly is most likely missing the spring and the tiny hook has broken off. You can drill a small hole in the pink lever and reattach a new spring. The tiny hook doesn't hold up.
1. Remove the shifter knob - Pull straight up while rocking side to side.
2. Pull the plastic shinny cover that blinds you all the time staight up. You won't break it by pulling up on it. It just snaps in. Might need a credit card or small screw driver to get ahold of it.
3. Use a small screwdriver to unsnap the PRNDL covers.
4. Remove the coin tray by unsnapping it as well.
5. Pull the outer grey console cover(surrounds the shifter assembly and coin tray) out and toward you. It just unsnaps. You wont break it either.
6. Unbolt the 4 nuts that hold the assebly to the floor
7. Look for the pink levers - one on each side. The passenger side one will move when applying the break releasing the shifter if the solenoid is good. If this one was bad you could have used the override to release it. See owners manual. The drivers side one should have a small spring attached. If it is missing than the small hook has broken off. You can pull back on it while attempting to shift out of park.
8. Replace this spring - I drilled a small hole in the hot pink drivers side lever and attached a new spring. It attaches to another small black hook a few inches back on the left side. You will need to rock the assebly on the side a bit (not much room) but you should be able to see this hook where it used to be attached.
Posted on Jul 30, 2010
You have to remove the whole center console which is the hard part then everthing else is pretty straight forward.
Posted on May 06, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Try the override - remove cup holder rubber liner and stick your finger in the hole to depress the button. See owners manual.
If this doesn't work than your tiny spring has come off the broken hook on the shifter assembly. Replace it by drilling a small 1/16th hole in the pink lever and reattach a new spring. better than a new one with the cheap tiny hook that keeps breaking.
Posted on Jul 30, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 15, 2016 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Jan 05, 2015 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Sep 13, 2010 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
May 20, 2010 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Oct 03, 2009 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Aug 10, 2009 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Jul 22, 2009 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Jul 21, 2009 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
Jun 21, 2009 | 2008 Dodge Avenger
609 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!