Question about 1999 Buick Regal
New egr valve installed. now, an engine diagnosis says insufficient air flow. what next?
EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is part of the vehicle
emmissions system, and is used to reduce combustion temperature and
pressure to control Oxides of Nitrogen. There are generally three parts
to the EGR system: the EGR valve, an actuator solenoid, and a
differential pressure sensor EGR (DPFE). These things work together to
deliver the correct amount of recirculation based on engine temperature,
load, etc. The P0401 code means that OBD detected an insufficient
amount of EGR.
You may notice drivability problems such as pinging (a.k.a. pre-ignition knock) when the engine is under load or the vehicle is at higher speeds. There may also be other symptoms.
A code P0401 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
* The DPFE (differential pressure feedback EGR) sensor is faulty and needs to be replaced
* There is a blockage in the EGR (tube), most likely carbon buildup
* The EGR valve is faulty
* The EGR valve may not be opening due to a lack of vaccuum
For several solutions ans next steps, in fixing this code, it is quite common for people to just replace the EGR valve only to have the OBD code return. The EGR valve is not always the culprit:
* Use a vacuum pump and pull the EGR valve open while monitoring engine RPM's & DPFE voltage. There should be a noticable difference in RPM's with the EGR open
* Clean out the EGR valve and/or tubing to remove deposits
* Check the voltage at the DPFE, compare to specified values (refer to a repair manual for your specific model)
* Replace the DPFE sensor (with a good quality / OEM one)
* Replace the EGR valve
Hope this helped (remember comment and rated this).
Posted on May 05, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 16, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 15, 2013 | 2000 Toyota Camry
Feb 26, 2013 | 2000 Ford Expedition
Feb 08, 2013 | 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Coupe
Mar 20, 2017 | 1996 Isuzu Trooper
Feb 14, 2011 | Chevrolet Impala Cars & Trucks
May 16, 2010 | 2002 Ford Crown Victoria
Jan 12, 2010 | 2002 Chevrolet Impala
Jan 30, 2009 | 2002 Honda Accord
1,104 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!