REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The different engine applications that the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable are equipped with utilize different types of alternators. The following is a list of vehicle applications. For 1986-90 vehicles:
The 3.0L and the 3.8L engines utilize a side terminal alternator.
The 2.5L and the 3.8L (with Police Package only) engines utilize an alternator with an integral rear mount regulator and an internal fan.
The 3.0L SHO engines utilize an alternator with an internal fan and regulator.For 1991-93 vehicles:
The 2.5L, 3.0L and 3.8L engines utilize an alternator with a rear mount regulator and an internal fan.
The 3.0L and 3.2L SHO engines utilize an alternator with an internal regulator and fan.For 1994-95 vehicles:
The 3.0L, 3.8L and 3.0L SHO engines utilize an alternator with a rear mount regulator and an internal fan.
The 3.2L SHO vehicles utilize an alternator with a internal regulator and fan.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Loosen the alternator pivot bolt, then remove the adjusting bolt.
3. Remove the alternator drive belt from the drive pulley.
4. Tag and disengage the wiring terminals from the back of the alternator. The stator and the field wiring are the push-on type of retainer. After depressing the lock tab, the connector should be pulled straight off of the terminal to prevent damage.
5. Remove the alternator pivot bolt, then remove the alternator from the engine.
6. Position the alternator on the engine.
7. Install the alternator pivot bolt and the adjusting bolt, but do NOT tighten the bolts until the drive belt it tensioned.
8. Engage the wiring terminals to the alternator, as tagged during removal.
9. Install the drive belt over the alternator drive pulley, then adjust the belt tension using Belt Tension Gauge 021-00019, or equivalent.
When adjusting belt tension, apply pressure on the front housing only.
10. Tighten the adjusting bolt to 30-45 ft. lbs. (41-61 Nm), then tighten the pivot bolt to 50-70 ft. lbs. (68-94 Nm).
11. Connect the negative battery cable.
Jan 07, 2011 |
1990 Ford Taurus