Question about 2004 Dodge Intrepid
2004 Intrepid when column shifter is in park: 1. Indicator shows Revers.
2. Transaxle not in park (car rolls)
3. I can take key out.
I initially thought it was a problem with neutral safety switch (because car wouldn't start); but, now the car will not engage in Park. I can shift thru all gears and I can start car in Neutral.
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 18, 2015 | Pontiac Cars & Trucks
Jun 25, 2014 | 2004 Ford Explorer
shifter needs to be inspected. The shifter assembly is got misaligned, it has
to be open and realign.
are many other possibilities. But if it was working right up till now and
suddenly this occurred then its shifter
assembly alignment issue.
i suggest you to refer these gear shift issues, which are mostly noticed. These
are direct links with appropriate solutions to
the specific problems of gear ****.
GEAR SHIFT ISSUES
Car is stuck in park and the shift will not move?
These details will help.
Nov 28, 2012 | 2000 Dodge Intrepid
Apr 29, 2012 | 2003 Ford Expedition
Nov 15, 2011 | 1998 Isuzu Rodeo
Feb 04, 2011 | Pontiac Aztek Cars & Trucks
Welcome to FixYa.com
1. Remove air cleaner and air intake hose assembly.
2. Remove center dash trim panel.
3. Remove center console cup holder assembly.
4. Remove floor console assembly.
5. Remove console side panels.
6. Remove Transmission Control Module ftMJ bracket.
1. Remove TCM.
8. Remove shifter cable from transaxle operating lever by removing nut and clip.
9. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever assembly by removing clip.
10. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever mechanism.
11. Remove cable from firewall grommet by removing grommet assembly nuts.
12. Remove gearshift cable from vehicle.
Lift and rotate the gearshift hand lever into the park (F9 gate position and remove the ignition
key. This confirms the shift lever is in the gated park (F9 position.
After confirming the park gate position. turn the ignition switch . If the starter will operate. the
park gate position is correct. Move the shift lever into the neutral (NJ position. If the starter
will operate in this position, the linkage is properly adjusted. If the starter fails to operate in
either position, linkage adjustment is required.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
2. Place the gearshift lever in park (F9 gate position and remove key.
3. Loosen the cable adjustment screw at the transaxle operating lever.
4. Pull the transaxle operating lever fully forward to the park detent position.
5. Release the park brake, then rock the vehicle to assure it is in park lock. Reset the park
6. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 Nm (10 inch Ibs.J. Gearshift cable should now be
1. Check adjustment by usinq the precedinq procedure.
Thank you for Using FixYa.com
Kind Regards, Lee
Your Master Technician FixYa Expert
Jan 31, 2011 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring
Jan 18, 2010 | 1996 Dodge Intrepid
Jan 16, 2010 | 1999 Ford Expedition
May 05, 2009 | 2000 Mercury Villager
625 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: