Question about 1998 Ford Explorer

2 Answers

My 1998 Ford Explorer runs rough under hard acceleration

My 1998 Ford Explorer has sat idle for several months and now when running, it pops and cracks and backfires under hard acceleration. It has new plugs and wires. It seems to idle smoothly. What should I check to get it to run better?

Posted by on

2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

    Hot-Shot:

    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 24 Answers

New plugs and wires?

Double check to make sure that you've got the routing and firing order right... if you have 2 switched, the car may still idle well but then pop and sputter on harder acceleration.

The next step would be to run some "Complete Fuel System Cleaner"... If that's the problem, you should see results within 20 miles or so.

Posted on Apr 29, 2010

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 4 Answers

Get some fresh fuel, mouse nest in air filter hsng?, replace fuel filter or check fuel pressure under full load first.

Posted on Apr 28, 2010

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

2 Answers

89 ford probe hesitates when leaving a red light, then runs fine otherwise, fuel filter?


Engine Runs Rough, Stalls, Hesitates on Acceleration, Hard ...

repairpal.com > Problems > Ford > Probe
Ford Probe Engine Runs Rough, Stalls, Hesitates on Acceleration, Hard Starting, Poor Performance. This is a verified problem based on 9 reports. Learn more ...

Starting Problems - 1997 Ford Probe - RepairPal

repairpal.com > Questions > Ford > Probe > 1997 Ford Probe
Dec 5, 2010 - Starting Problems on 1997 Ford Probe ... If the engine runs rough,stalls, hesitates on acceleration, is hard to start, or has generally poor ...

A new misfire/hesitation on accel. Problem.. - ProbeTalk.com Forums

forums.probetalk.com > Tech Section > 2nd Gen (93-97) V6 2.5L

Feb 05, 2016 | Ford Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

Runs rough when accelerating


Get it scanned to see what code is stored in the PCM and come back and let us know

Sep 20, 2014 | 1998 Ford Explorer

1 Answer

My 96 ford bronco runs rough on acceleration,idles fine. Runs good under light acceleration but if hit the gas hard runs bad and pops. Changed fuel filter no change.what next?


givit a tune--new distributer cap--new plugs and cables--------also have air intake cleaned plus idle control--use a nonchlorinatd solvent sold a napa etc

Jul 22, 2014 | 1996 Ford Bronco

1 Answer

My laser is idling rough, then when under throttle is is running very rough. I have changed the spark plugs as the old one were really filthy. Still has not solved the problem. Please help


Check the oxygen sensor for correct operation as it sounds like you are flooding the engine. The injectors are not getting the correct pulses from the cpu because it cannot correctly read the exhaust gas.

Feb 10, 2013 | 1998 Ford Laser

1 Answer

92 NISSAN WITH BOGGING AT 2800 3500 RPM AND AT LEVEL SPEED 4CYL AND 5 SPEED


For this types of problem,there are few help inks to troubleshoot the problem.Click the link below to go through the troubleshooting procedure to resolve the issues :----Idles rough and quits when gas pedal is pressed less? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/01/1999-ford-f-150-idles-rough-and-quits.html-----------van idles rough? http://howtobyme.blogspot.in/2012/01/2004-ford-freestar-van-idles-rough.html
--------------runs lean and idles rough? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/ford-runs-lean-and-idles-rough.html
-----------Car still runs Rough after tune up? http://howtobyme.blogspot.com/2011/12/car-still-runs-rough-after-tune-up.html
------------Idle flair is noticed on car? Rough idle? car will not idle? Erratic idle speed? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/idle-flair-is-noticed-on-car-rough-idle.html
----------High rpm in neutral? Inconsistant high RPM in neutral? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/high-rpm-in-neutral-inconsistant-high.html
------------Engine Backfires? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/jeep-backfires.html----------- Nissan stalls and bucks on Acceleration?

http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/nissan-pathfinder-stalls-and-bucks-on.html

-----------
Nissan Pathfinder Backfires? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/02/nissan-pathfinder-backfires.html
---------How to adjust rpm? http://schematicsdiagram.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-adjust-rpm-on-2009-dodge-charger.html
------------Engine cuts out at 3000 RPM? http://schematicsdiagram.blogspot.com/2011/12/engine-cuts-out-at-3000-rpm.html
----------This will help.Thanks.

Feb 17, 2012 | 1992 Nissan Pickup

1 Answer

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer.. It starts but runs rough, I have to hold the accelerator pedal ultil it warms up then it's fine after 10-15 minutes.


There is about a 90% chance that if you replace your Idle Air Control Solenoid (IAC) your problem will go away. The other 10% could be many other things including a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor, Mass Airflow or MAP Sensor, etc.

Feb 01, 2011 | Ford Explorer Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

4.0 liter v 6 idles very rough


Rough idle is usually a symptom of a vacuum leak especially if the engine runs good at full acceleration. You have 14 year old vehicle, so check all under hood vacuum hoses.

May 23, 2010 | 1996 Ford Explorer

2 Answers

I HAVE A 1998 FORD EXPLORER AND IT HESITATES ON ACCELERATION AND SOMETIMES IDLES ROUGH. I REPLACED THE SPARK PLUGS, WIRES, AND THE COIL PACK AND STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEMS. THE CODES SHOW MISSFIRES IN BANK 3...


Try running some fuel injector cleaner through your fuel tank. What you may have are a couple of plugged or missfiring fuel injectors. I would suggest checking all of your wiring to your injectors to insure good connection, replace your fuel filter and check for vacuum leaks.

Jul 20, 2009 | 1998 Ford Explorer

1 Answer

1996 FORD CONTOUR 4CYL ROUGH IDLE ROUGH ACCELERATION


no problem. If you are getting that low of voltage on a load then you might want to test the alternator as well to make sure it is running at capacity.

Feb 23, 2009 | 1998 Ford Contour

Not finding what you are looking for?
1998 Ford Explorer Logo

815 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75822 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

fordexpert

Level 3 Expert

5501 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...