Question about Ford Escort
I have a Mark 3 Cortina which the previous owner fitted with a Weber twin-downdraft carb (I think it's called a DGAV 32-36) and also an automatic choke. I would like to change it back to manual choke and wondered if you might be able to recommend a supplier for a conversion kit please? Also, I have had the car for 9 years, and although the double choke mechanism used to be noticeable when I put my foot down (i.e., it used to suddenly 'take off') , it no longer seems to work, and I wondered if there might be something wrong with the carb - I don't know how it works so it's had to tell. If so, could you possibly help me to diagnose the fault? Thank you for your time.
- Liz Lowe (Hemel Hempstead)
It has a choke plate used for cold starting
if it has 2 throats ( venturis ) then the second throat butterfly is most likely vacuum operated in which case the diaphragm for the operation will be faulty
I suggest that you take it to an accredited shop that overhauls carbies , and firstly have the manual choke fitted then have the unit overhauled
Posted on Mar 28, 2017
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Ford LTDwith 400m cuts out?
fuel filter or fuel pump problem or it could be the automatic choke is closed and choking motor make sure choke is plugged in on side of carb start car let it warm up with air breather off watch and see if choke opens up .also you can look down into carb when motoe running crack open throttle and see if it sprays gas into intake if it doesnt could be filter or pump. to check fuel pump remove fuel line from carb insert line into small can or bottle so fuel doesnt run ontop of motor and have someone just bump over starter and see if it pushes fuel out line with a descent amount of pressure check fuel filter.and if all that checks out try looking for vaccum line off to check get a can of either and squirt lightly around vaccum lines and listen for car to idle up if it does bad vaccum line. and also check distributer. but it sounds like it is getting to much gas so i would check choke first..... hope that helps .. and by the way you have a 351 modified 400 wich is 351 m 400.
Posted on May 18, 2008
When you install an engine, you don't "line up" gears. It's likely that either you have a worn shift fork or synchro (both inside the transmission).
Posted on Jul 08, 2009
there is only one way.
you will have to convert to injection and install a electric choke
it is a big job but it can be done.
Posted on Apr 16, 2010
SOURCE: My 2002 Chrysler Concorde 3.5
1. check the fuse for the fan motor make sure they operate replace if necessary
2. make sure the fans operate if not replace
3. check lower hose for restrictions/ wear/ swelling soft spots this indicates that the thermostat is suffering blockage, check top hose also for the same. soft spots normally occure when fluid is wasted on the hoses and likely to appear nears a swelling area. Pep Boys quote a price of $275. 00dollars but they didnt say whether parts are included.
4. Manufacture installed the proper stat from the factory stick with it when you cahenge and are notsure whether it was a hi /lo temp you change the specs and cause additional unforeseen problems it supposed to open and close at precise temps anythinf different could cause overheating and computer read the wrong information which will cause the computer to go into a limp mode .
Posted on Jun 20, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 29, 2017 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 02, 2017 | Cars & Trucks
Oct 27, 2016 | Ford Cortina Cars & Trucks
Jan 05, 2016 | Ford Cars & Trucks
Apr 26, 2014 | 1971 Ford Cortina 1300
Mar 26, 2014 | 1971 Ford Cortina 1300
Mar 13, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 24, 2018 | Ford Cars & Trucks
90 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: