Question about Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

1 Answer

I have a 89 dodge truck 4x4 and there is a rod that goes from the gear box to the steering arm whats that called

Posted by on

  • tltutenjr Feb 03, 2010

    the pitman armis on the gear box what is the rod that goes from there to the steering arm

  • tltutenjr Feb 03, 2010

    thanx got it



1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 366 Answers

Pitman arm.

Posted on Feb 03, 2010

  • Dale Cobb Feb 03, 2010

    that should be the center link

  • Dale Cobb Feb 03, 2010

    sometimes called a drag link



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My89 dodge dakotas steering is copletely loose and wheels dont turn at all everything seems to be attached,whats the problem

where to start? any steering fluid? steering belt ok? steering wheel tight? steering pump ok? front end pitman and idler arm(s) ok? front end bushings or rod ends ok? steering box gears steipped? steering rack could be stripped. check all these first then get back to me.

Jun 05, 2016 | Dodge Cars & Trucks

3 Answers

2006 chevy silverado 1500 4x4,i cant adjust the power steering?with the bolt and lock nut with exagone screw?excuse my english,iam speak french.thank,luc

Why are you messing with it in the first place?? This is a job for someone who knows what they are doimg,,like a wheel alignment garage.

Mar 16, 2011 | 2006 Chevrolet Silverado

1 Answer

How do I take the "play" out of the steering wheel

Before I would start messing with the gear box, I would recommend that you check out the tie rods, ball joints, pitman arm/control arm, to see if that is where the slack is. Most of the time that is the case.

Mar 11, 2011 | 1989 Chevrolet C3500

1 Answer

What is a drag link and what does it do

The rgag link is part of the steering. It's the long bar that runs between the tires. It has the tie rods connected to them. The idler arm and pitman arm are also connected to it. The idler is the arm that is mounted to the frame and the pitman is the arm that is mounted to the gear box.

Dec 03, 2010 | 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck

1 Answer

I have a 1990 gmc truck not 4x4 it is a 2 wheel drive. when i turn left the steering will lock up and i can't get it to turn right. i have put on new inner and outter tie rod's. and a new idler arm. what...

with the front wheels of the ground remove the outer tie rods from the knuckles. Turn the knuckles by hand. Do they move freely? if not than the upper or lower ball joint are binding.

With the tie rod end still disconnected turn the steering wheel to the left. Does it still bind up? If so you probably have a bad steering gear box.

Oct 16, 2010 | 1990 GMC C1500

1 Answer

I have been told that my 98 Dodge truck which has 56,000 miles needs a new steering gear box. Steering wheel has about 2 to 3 inches of slack. Have put on a track bar and a tie rod for 700 bucks and still...

The gear boxes are just cheaply designed and made, its a very very common problem with these Dodge's. Even the new ones experience whats called the "death wobble", where the truck will all of a sudden veer left or right. The most common things ive replaced on these trucks to cure it is the track bar, and the gear box. $500 sounds about right for a new one, they arent very cheap.

Mar 28, 2010 | 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD

1 Answer

2000 F350 4x4. Has a 6 or 8 in lift not sure, just bought it used with stock tires. The steering is loose, i can turn the steering wheel about 4 or 5 inches and tires wont turn. Tie rods and steering...

Look at steering shaft movement and compare to pittman arm movement. (input vs output on steering gear) If you have excess input with little output replace the steering gear box

Nov 19, 2009 | 2000 Ford F350 Super Duty Super Cab

1 Answer

What is a drag link on a Dodge truck 2005 2500? The dealer said my right side is bad and might as well replace both. I'm looking up the part and can't anything about a drag link. Please help

a drag link is what connects the the pitman arm of the steering gear box to thr rods that control the wheels this adds stabilization to the steering system. please rate this

Dec 04, 2008 | 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Truck

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

22 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Dodge Experts


Level 3 Expert

76846 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22246 Answers

Ronny Bennett Sr.
Ronny Bennett Sr.

Level 3 Expert

6927 Answers

Are you a Dodge Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides