Question about 1983 Ford Crown Victoria
Starts and runs beautifully in dry weather, but when it rains or heavy fog or dew, general dampness... it will crank over and over but not start. Like no fire getting to the engine.
Hi, sounds like your electrical system is grounding out when it gets damp/wet.
1. an '83 'should' have a roto-cap. find a spark plug and follow the wires back. they should all go back to one central location. a round or rectangular device with one wire in the center.
2. find the metal clips holding this on. pull them off or unscrew the screws holding it on.
3. once its open, look for moisture.
4. dry the area as best you can.
5. look for a rubber seal that should keep water/moisture from entering. You can use some sealant to assist with this.
the other thing this could be, is a crack in your wires, or distributor/rotor cap. now you are looking at replacing the wires and cap.
To do this RIGHT. I would replace all the spark plug wires and the rotor-cap. (if you have not done this lately). This will more than likely fix your problem.
If you do this yourself, some of the spark plugs may be hard to reach and you may need to remove a tire to get to them.
1. replace the distributor/Rotor cap first. Then
2. replace ONE spark plug wire at a time.
After you do all this, you 'should' be all set.
Posted on Feb 03, 2010
Change your distributor cap out. it may have a crack in it causing this problem
Posted on Feb 03, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 11, 2014 | 1998 Toyota Avalon
Dec 31, 2012 | 1998 Dodge Dakota
Oct 24, 2012 | 2002 Buick Rendezvous
May 04, 2012 | 1999 Chevrolet Astro
Jan 19, 2012 | 1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic
Mar 16, 2011 | 1994 Volvo 940
Apr 19, 2010 | 2001 GMC Savana
Dec 27, 2009 | Hyundai Motor 2004 Sonata
Dec 27, 2008 | 1993 Volvo 240
Sep 11, 2008 | 1996 Volkswagen Jetta
Jun 11, 2014 | 1983 Ford Crown Victoria
303 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: