Question about 2001 Toyota 4Runner
You can get this code if you don't tighten the gas cap all the way, or the gas cap is bad. I will put all the detail for the code below and what I would do to fix the problem...
NOTE: Do not top off your tank either. This could cause the 'overfill check valve' to fail, and could cause this code.
Definition of P0441: Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect
DTCs P0441 and P0446 are recorded by the ECM when evaporative emissions leak from the emissions components
or when there is a malfunction in either the VSV for EVAP, the VSV for
pressure switching valve, or in the vapor pressure sensor itself.
detection cause: Pressure in charcoal canister and fuel tank does not drop or
drop in pressure increased beyond the specified limit during
purge control (2 trip detection logic)
What I would do:
1. Replace fuel cap and reset computer. If code returns, then proceed to next
The next steps require a diagram, so the purchase of service manual to locate the components is very helpful
2. Check for vacuum leaks in ALL emission hoses
3. Check VSV valve operation (there are three; they are ~$75 new from dealer, and sometimes fail)
4. Check for cracks or leaks around or in the charcoal canister (usually requires a smoke machine)
5. check for voltage to VSV's
6. Last resort: take it to the dealer and have them run a diagnosis. This should run between $50-$100.
Posted on Apr 15, 2010
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 15, 2011 | 2007 Chevrolet Impala LS Sedan New Cars
Jun 04, 2010 | 2000 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
Apr 22, 2010 | 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Mar 01, 2010 | 2001 Toyota 4Runner
Feb 08, 2010 | Toyota 4Runner Cars & Trucks
Mar 18, 2009 | 2003 Dodge Caravan
Dec 31, 2008 | 2005 Chevrolet Colorado
Aug 14, 2014 | 2001 Toyota 4Runner
1,135 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: