Question about 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis

1 Answer

My car needs intake manifold theromoter head gaskets and water pump. do i just need to buy a new engine or a new car?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.

    Sergeant:

    An expert that hasĀ over 500 points.

    Champion:

    An expert who has answered 200 questions.

  • Expert
  • 226 Answers

You just need the top end rebuilt by the sounds of it / that's a fairly big job to do unless you know how to .have you asked to see what you'd get for trade in value :)

Posted on Nov 19, 2009

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

There is water in my engine oil do i need a new gasket for the head


What make , model an year vehicle ? Could be intake manifold too ! Take it to repair shop an have it pressure tested ,or go to harbor freight an spend $80.00 an buy cooling system pressure tester an test it yourself . GM V6 3.1 - 3.4 - 3.8 l engines had known intake manifold gasket problems ! But GM isn't alone in having this problem . Fix It Right Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

Apr 16, 2016 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1982 280zx i replaced my manifold gasket and all of a sudden im having over heating problems


You're obviously referring to the intake manifold gasket, right? When you removed the manifold, did you old gasket to the replacement for size and mounting match-up? Did you have to scrape off the old gasket, and were you careful to not let any pieces of it fall into either the manifold or the head? Chances are, either the replacement gasket (OEM gasket or aftermarket?) did not match up correctly with the manifold or the head and is blocking a coolant channel, or a piece of the old gasket has lodged in the water jacket or has found its wa to the water pump and is blocking the coolant circulation. Bad result would be damage to the water pump requiring its replacement; worse result would be overheating of the engine causing failure of the head gasket and/or possible warpage of the head. If you're certain that the replacement manifold gasket was a perfect match and was placed properly during installation, you may want to drain and power-flush the cooling system, refill with water and recheck the temp. If it's OK, drain the system again and refill with prescribed mix of antifreeze and water. If you're not certain, you'll probably need to pull off the intake again and use another new gasket that exactly matches up with the water jacket ports on both the manifold and the head. Good luck.

Oct 03, 2013 | Datsun Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

2000 chevy venture 3.4l overheating


Have you replaced the intake manifold gaskets? These engines have a history of leaking intake manifold gaskets. Water leaks into the intake and is burned off in the cylinders. If the engine overheats enough times, you will eventually blow the head gaskets.

Start by performing a compression check to make sure you haven't blown the head gaskets. Then make sure the car is really overheating (i.e. check the temperature of the engine with a infrared thermometer (they are cheap at Harbor Freight).

If it is really overheating, and you've really changed everything else, you need to change the intake manifold gaskets. Be sure to get the improved gaskets from the parts store (they have a metal core with rubber coating).

Jan 06, 2013 | 2000 Chevrolet Venture

1 Answer

After my truck (2003 S10, 4.3) sits after running it for a bit, start it and it will start missing and the check engine light comes on. The miss will go away after about 5 minutes running and the light...


intake manifold gasket. when it leaks water will enter a cylinder causing the sprark plug to short out. when the engine gets hot enough the water will cook off in the cylinder allowing spark to take place. 80% chance intake manifold gasket, buy the upgraded part. 20% chance head gasket. Take the intake off and check for broken intake manifold gasket then buy parts.

Sep 10, 2010 | 2003 Chevrolet S-10

2 Answers

What's the difference between a blown head gasket and a blown intake gasket?


The head gasket goes between the block and the head, and seals the combustion process, and cooling water, and (if oil is pumped obove the heads to valve components) oil pressure.

Intake gaskets seal between the intake manifold and the head, and seal against intake vacuum, and in many cases, coolant.

A badly blown head gasket will so destroy compression in the cylinder that you can hear uneven cranking as that cylinder comes up on compression, kind of a “whir, whir, WHIR, whir, whir, WHIR, whir” with the capitalized whir being the engine spinning much faster due to no compression holding the starter back.

You will never be able to hear a problem with an intake manifold gasket until the engine actually starts to fire and/or run.

Aug 10, 2010 | 1994 Pontiac Grand Am

2 Answers

OVER HEATING HAS ANTIFREEZE ,NEW RADITOR AND


Sounds like it could be a head gasket. Most shops will pressure test it (not expensive to test) to find out if that's the culprit. Pretty common overheating cause if you have a new radiator, thermostat and water pump.

Jun 03, 2010 | 2001 Chevrolet Blazer

3 Answers

1999 Pontiac Grand Am with "lower intake leak"...What does this mean specifically? Would this mean the intake for the radiator, gasket, or valve?


Usually intake has to do with the induction system, as in intake manifold , The intake manifold can have several types of leaks, the intake can have a vacuum leak, oil leak, coolant leak or a combination of any of the before mentioned....hope this helps,

Aug 30, 2009 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT

2 Answers

I had new intake manifold gadket installed noe


Since problem developed after head gasket replaced. I would look at head gasket. Try re-torque head bolts. Was correct gasket size installed? (due to wear and tear, sometimes OEM gasket is no longer correct).

Jul 09, 2009 | 1997 Lincoln Continental

1 Answer

Gasket is blown, water in my oil.


As long as the heads are not damaged from overheating repairing would be an option rather than replacing the engine. Get advise from a mechanic you trust. The intake manifold gaskets are the most common problem with this vehicle if you have the V6 engine.

Jan 30, 2009 | 1999 Chevrolet Malibu

Not finding what you are looking for?
1996 Mercury Grand Marquis Logo

Related Topics:

66 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Mercury Experts

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

76070 Answers

fordexpert

Level 3 Expert

5520 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers

Are you a Mercury Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...