Question about 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe
How do you change the alternator in a 2002 cavalier
To protect yourself and your car, disconnect your battery before doing any kind of work that involves the electrical system of your car.
1. Remove the alternator/serpentine belt, either by pushing the spring loaded belt tensioner back using a 15mm wrench (a pain in the arse), or by cutting it with a knife (much easier), seeing as you should replace it during this process anyways.
2. Completely remove the bolt on the top left of the alternator using a 15mm wrench (viewing from front of the car)
3. Loosen (you don't need to completely remove) the top right bolt using a 15mm socket and extender
4. Remove the lower mounting bolt from the alternator (also 15mm), you may wish to temporarily remove the coolant reservoir (13mm bolt, I think)for easier access to this bolt and the belt tensioner.
5. Disconnect the two wires attached to the alternator, one is a plug, the other is a screw on type.
6. Finagle the alternator out of the engine bay, (once again, easier with the coolant reservoir out of the way)
Now complete steps 1-6 in reverse order, the only part that should require much force is pushing back the belt tensioner, you will need a 15mm box end wrench (get the longest one you have available out for torque), as a normal socket wrench won't have clearance, and be careful not to let the wrench slip and hit the hand you are using to slide the belt on, you could end up with a broken finger.
Posted on Oct 07, 2009
Testimonial: "the steps were very clear and helpful thank you"
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 17, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 23, 2013 | 1990 Chevrolet Cavalier
Jan 19, 2013 | 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier
Jul 02, 2010 | 2002 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe
Aug 21, 2009 | 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier
Jan 15, 2009 | 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
Jan 04, 2009 | 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier
157 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: