Question about 1997 Volkswagen Jetta
How can I remove/change VW polo 2005 battery?
Removing a battery from a Beetle is a bit complex and tricky. I just changed the battery in a 2003 2.0 Beetle. However, the process is very similar in a TDI Beetle. You will need more than your standard generic tool set in order to complete this task. Your tool list needs to consist of a pair of pliers (prefer locking type), a # 20 TORX head screwdriver (You will also need this if you ever plan on changing the Beetle's internal dash pollen filter for the A/C. ), a 10 mm and 13 mm sockets, a long extension and a wobble or universal to allow flexibility in tight spaces, an allen socket for removing the power steering reservoir, and a small adjustable wrench or a 10mm to remove the battery cables. If you are changing the battery you might as well buy a new Air filter since you will need to remove the air box in order to replace the battery. If you do change the air filter you will need a phillips head screwdriver.
1. Pop the hood.
2. Remove the two 10 mm bolts that hold down the air filter box.
3. Undo the clamp that holds the large tubing to the air box using your pliers. Move the tubing away from the box.
4. Unclip hose attached to the back of the air box near the large hose (under it).
5. remove the small breather hose from the air box.
6. Pull air box up and out.
7. Remove snap on cover from top of battery.
8. Remove small snap on wiring cover from back of the battery covering.
9. Unbolt power steering reservoir (next to battery case).
10. Disconnect the battery cables. Positive side first.
11. Remove the 13 mm bolt at the base of the battery along with the hold down clamp.
12. Pull the top wiring away from the battery case and then slide the battery towards the engine.
13. Remove the plastic battery case.
14. Remove the battery
Posted on Oct 07, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
the cover just pulls off and disconnect breather hose as u lift it.there is about 15 screws to remove then the cover opens
Posted on Jul 12, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 08, 2014 | 2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.9
Oct 04, 2014 | 2005 Volkswagen Polo 1.4
May 23, 2014 | 2005 Volkswagen Polo
Mar 11, 2013 | Volkswagen Polo Cars & Trucks
Apr 21, 2010 | 1995 Volkswagen Golf
Mar 07, 2010 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
Jul 12, 2009 | 1998 Volkswagen Passat
Oct 11, 2016 | 1997 Volkswagen Jetta
1,778 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: