overheating has many symptoms, not just green on the ground
temp gauge lies its buns off... use a real tool called a thermometer to see real temps. we use a IR pyro gun to see it and not GET burnt.
gauges is telling truth, so......................
a bad rad cap, or bad thermostat are common fails.
test one: (dead cold engine) never hot.
radiator tank filler cap off , you look down there, is the level really low?
(forget the silly side expansion tank for now)
if found low , then fill it and burp it. no air allowed there
running 50% antifreeze now? no?, that its WRONG.
the tool is $2, test it. (Prestone sells it)
the coolant is all rusty color, (ill not comment ) try service.
- Green on the ground,? for passengers feet.
- Water exploding from overfill side tank? ( oil in RAD or Milky engine oil) (same milk in transmission pan?)Exploding gases, on cold start is bad head gasket or warped head or cracked head/block, or just simple overheating, The Rad leak down test and the exhaust test (green/blue ) tests solve this riddle easy.
- Steam rising from hood or Radcap, or hose to Cap and recovery tank. Over heating or leaks.
- Dash gauge pegged. (or WILD GAUGE swings "air pockets below thermostat") or gauge bad. sender bad.
- Motor pinging and loss of power. (do not allow pinging, it will wreck the engine)
- Pistons landing on ground? (just joking....)
- A/C dies?, does it?, due to A/C engine overheat switch ,tripping off. a 235 ?F (spec) see FSM. A/C means Air conditioner clutch dead.
- Does the engine over heat , if left idling a long time (30min-1hr). or only at stop signs or red lights? (clutch fan not activating , check it, this way.)
- Does it only over heat while moving ? ( a bad pump, or Rad)
- Overheats, only on hills? (bad RAD)
- Only overheats pulling heavy loads ? (inside, full of bricks, or pulling a 1000 trailer ? ONLY?
- Never overheats moving fast on flat ground. (so the RAD fan is dead, no mater if stock or hacked in electric fan, it's DEAD)
- Do you have carbon or oil floating around in the Rad, filler CAP neck top tank ? yes?, that is bad head gasket or worse cracked block/head. Do the Exhaust test.
- Overheats under all conditions, Catastrophic overheat. ( can be bad pump (rotor gone) or RAD or system is packed up)
- Seems to overheat , even at first start , in 1min or less I have gases shooting into the overfill tank, that is a bad head gasket (mostly a warped head, at least)
- Antifreeze (and water) in the pans, Engine or Transmission.
- The RAD fan is DEAD ( just because a mechanical RAD fan coasts, don't mean it WORKS RIGHT.) See the clutch tests below. if electric fan , there is a test in the FSM covers this 100% the fan must come on over heated,.
- my electric fan , starts to run idling engine long time at 225F. It kicks on, some cars have 2 fan and staged, come on trip points.
- RTM read the manual the FSM>
- there is more im sure, cant think of them all now.
That pyro gun allows me to test any RAD easy , ask.
ok , i check all rad tube top and bottom and bingo find any tube clogged fast. if all are equally clogged.(partial) i cant find that.
that is caused by zero service, so...and there are signs for that too.