Question about Ford Mustang

1 Answer

1973 Mustang carburetor replacement.

I have a 1973 Mustang with a 351C and it has a 2 barrel carburetor. I have a 600CFM Holley in hand. I see that you can buy adapters so a 4 barrel can replace the 2 barrel, but I'm not sure what to do. Do I buy a 500CFM 2 barrel or buy the adapter? Also if I put the 4 barrel on what other adjustments need to be made; like timing? Thanks!

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 30 Answers

It would be easier to buy the adapter but holley al;so makes intake manifold for this problem they are pricey but you get the full 600cfms with an adapter you wont get as much oomph out of it but and adapter is a good idea especially when you dont have 300 to blow on the manifold

Posted on Oct 02, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

1973 mach 1 351c intake openings is 2.6x1.8 edelbrock manifold 2665 has intake opening of 2.1x1.3 what is the purpose of the smaller intake opening on the intake

It is the primary ports for the smaller throttle valves of the staggered bore carburetor like a Delco Quadrajet or Holley spread bore.

Oct 24, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Looking for a diagram of a single barrel holley carburetor

mcdevito75 here, A repair manual at your local library could have the diagram.

Jun 16, 2010 | 1983 Ford Ranger

2 Answers

Please explain the differences between a 351C, 351M, 400

The 351C motors were made only for cars. The difference is on the thermostat and how it goes on the engine. The 351-400M motors went on the block and were identical motors exept for the bore( 4.00) and the stroke(crank).both 400-351 M use the big block pattern for the bellhousing The 351C uses a smallblock bellhousing pattern The 351C valve covers and heads will interchange not manifolds though.. The 351W looks like a 302 smallblock, with a higher deck height. the firing order is also different from a 302. Hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2010 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1987 dodge ramcharger is leaking fuel from carburetor, is there a kit to fix the carburetor?

Yes, check at local auto parts store, but they may have to order it, seeing how everything is pretty well fuel injected now. Look for a tag attached, or at least some numbers, make of carb, such as holley or carter, 2 barrel or 4 barrel etc that they can use for reference.

Dec 03, 2009 | 1987 Dodge Ramcharger

1 Answer

What is the bolt torque settings for an intake manifold on a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with a 351C and 2-barrel heads? Also, Where can I find a diagram showing the sequence or pattern for placing the intake...

Intake Manifold 5/16 Bolts Non-Hardening sealers 25 ft-lbs
Cast Iron Heads 3/8 Bolts 30 ft-lbs

The torque sequence is snug all down then just star left rear then right front then right rear then left front and so on

Nov 27, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

How to put on a Holley carburetor on my 1984 camaro? I am taking off an electrical one and replacing it with a single pumper holley. Is their any thing else i will have to purchase?

What do you mean "electrical one?" If you are taking off a Quadrajet, and putting the Holley on, NO it will not fit, You will need to replace the intake manifold.

Nov 06, 2009 | 1984 Chevrolet Camaro

1 Answer

I need to replace the carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. It has a 351C 2-barrel and it is leaking. What size and type and model should I get? Thanks! I'm restoring it so I know I'll have more questions.

The tag number is what you would use to get a refresh kit from an auto parts store. As for an NOS unit - good luck. They haven't made those in nearly 30 years. If you want it profesionally redone (like for a restoration) you might contact Pony Carbs. Otherwise, just clean it up, put a kit in it and go.

Good luck and hope this helps. The carb kit from localauto parts retailer would probably run you less than $30. 

Jul 16, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I'm in need of changing the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. I understand that if i want to go to a 4 barrel carburetor I will need to change the intake (duh) and the heads. Is this...

To change to a 4 bbl u wil need to change the intake manifold, as for the heads only if u are going to preformance. Changing diffeent 2 bbls will not be of any advantage to you.

Jul 15, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to replace the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. What size (cfm) and which brand would work best? Thanks!

If this is the stock 302 cu. inch V-8, the original carburetor will be a Motorcraft 550 CFM carb. If you would like an upgrade I wouldn't go up on the cfm's unless you do a intake manifold change to a competion intake such as a Edelbrock competition intake or other modifications (increased compression ratio, larger valves, higher lift cam etc.) that would allow increased flow.

Jul 14, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

276 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

76070 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5520 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides