Question about 1989 Cadillac Brougham
The thermostat is in the housing at the end of the top radiator hose where it connects to the engine manifold. The thermostat housing is clamped onto the hose and is bolted to the engine manifold by two bolts.
1. Drain enough coolant from the cooling system to a level below the height of the thermostat housing.
2. Remove the two bolts and separate the housing from the manifold.
3. Remove the thermostat from the engine. You may have to pry it out if it is stuck. (Don't be alarmed if there is no thermostat. Some mechanics remove them for troubleshooting).
4. Scrape off the old gasket and sealant from the housing and the manifold.
5. Install new thermostat, pointy side towards radiator.
6. Use Permatex #2 (non-hardening sealant) on both sides of the new gasket and bolt down the housing.
7. Replenish cooling system.
8. Start engine, allow to warm up and check for leaks.
The Permatex #2 gasket sealant ($4 AutoZone) is in a small tube. One small tube is more than enough.
Posted on Oct 01, 2009
Follow the top radiator hose to the engine. Then remove the thermostat cover,right there.Usually two bolts. Go easy they may be corroded.Use anti-seize on bolts when putting it back together
Posted on Oct 01, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 12, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Sep 10, 2015 | Jeep Liberty Cars & Trucks
Oct 12, 2013 | 1998 Dodge Intrepid
Dec 01, 2012 | 1996 Pontiac Grand Am
Trace the upper radiator hose to the mounting area on the intake manifold. Loosen the hose clamp on the manifold end of the hose and remove the hose. Pull the thermostat out of the intake manifold.
For more help and troubleshooting go through the help links below:---
Click the link below:-----
THERMOSTAT REMOVAL PROCEDURE/LOCATION DETAILS
Where is Thermostat Located on
How to Replace a Thermostat.
Nov 28, 2012 | Buick Century Cars & Trucks
Sep 30, 2011 | 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier
Oct 11, 2010 | 1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Aug 16, 2010 | 1997 Isuzu Trooper
Jul 10, 2010 | 2003 Cadillac CTS
Dec 06, 2009 | 1998 Jeep Wrangler
160 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: