Question about 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
Hello! Here is a picture of the location of the front knock sensor for a 3.8 liter V6 3800 Series II (97-03)
(Please note that the engine is upside down on the stand)
There are 2 knock sensors on this engine, one on the front (as shown), and another in the rear. There isn't one on the driver's side, per se.
I recommend that you let the vehicle cool down before beginning this process. To remove this you will need a drip pan, as coolant will leak from the engine when the sensor is removed. You will need a deep well 22mm socket and torque wrench.
1. Jack up and support the vehicle on jack stands so that you can work from underneath the vehicle. Be sure to apply your emergency brake.
2. Identify the knock sensor location and remove the electrical connector on the bottom.
3. Using the deep well socket, remove the sensor from the block. Do not position yourself direcly underneath this, as coolant will begin to flow immediately from the sensor's location.
4. Your new knock sensor should come pre-coated with sealant/threadlock, just install it and tighten by hand until snug.
5. Torque the sensor to 14 ft lbs.
6. Replace the electrical connector.
7. You should flush the entire coolant system to be sure to remove any air pockets, and then refill.
Hope this helps and thanks for using FixYa!
Posted on Oct 01, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 19, 2015 | 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Nov 16, 2012 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
Jun 05, 2010 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
Jan 08, 2010 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
Nov 09, 2009 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Am SE
Oct 01, 2009 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
Aug 19, 2009 | 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
936 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!