Question about 1999 Volkswagen Passat
P0301 is a miss-fire detected in engine cylinder # 3, the causes of this problem are many, the most common is the spark plug followed by a defective ignition coil, the ignition coil is located over the spark plug and is all one piece, there are no spark plug wires, the next poss causes are in order of how common they are as the source of the miss-fire,
1. Defective ignition coil or plug, replace as a pair.
2. Intake manifold vacuum leak, check for this with a can of carb spray, if there is a leak the engine will change sound or idle speed when you spray in the vicinity of the intake leak.
3. Fuel injector is defective or plugged, the injector should make a very low sounding clicking noise if it is working.
4. low #3 cylinder compression due to a burnt valve or faulty piston or rings.
5. Defective PCM (powertrain control module), or the wiring to the injector.
As u can see there is no quick fix for this, you may get lucky with a coil, but they are quite expensive, a VW dealers shop can isolate the cause of this miss-fire very quickly with the electronic test equipment they have and is money well spent, stay away from outside shops, the can't afford the $100,000 in testing gear that is required to diagnose this problem, the lower labor rate is false economy.
Posted on Sep 30, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 08, 2011 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
Mar 15, 2011 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
Apr 07, 2010 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
Mar 21, 2010 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
Oct 02, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
Jun 08, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
May 12, 2009 | 1997 Volkswagen Passat
May 12, 2009 | Volkswagen Passat Cars & Trucks
Feb 17, 2009 | 1999 Volkswagen Jetta
Jan 25, 2009 | 1999 Toyota Camry
May 21, 2017 | 1999 Volkswagen Passat
164 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: