Question about 1998 Chevrolet Lumina
What is involved in replacing thermostat on 3100 sfi v6 1989 lumina?
1. drain coolant from radiator
2. unbolt and remove the water neck from the engine block (it's attached to the upper radiator hose) and scrape any leftover gasket material off of the mating surface w/ a razor or gasket scraper, being careful not to actually gouge the metal
3. pull thermostat out of engine block (it's easy to see w/ the water neck off)
4. scrape any gasket material off mating surface on engine side, being even more careful not to gouge the metal here
5. place new t-stat on engine side opening
6. place gasket over the thermostat (you can put a thin bead of RTV sealant on both sides of the gasket if you wish, some people think it's overkill, but i hate doing things twice)
7. replace water neck
8. refill cooling system, use the little brass bleeder screw on top of the motor to bleed out the air until a steady stream of coolant is coming out after the engine is warmed up. close the screw.
Posted on Sep 29, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 02, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
Aug 27, 2011 | 1995 Chevrolet Lumina
May 16, 2011 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
Oct 10, 2010 | 1994 Oldsmobile Achieva Special Edition
Apr 23, 2010 | 1997 Pontiac Grand Am
Oct 18, 2008 | 1990 Chevrolet Lumina
1,706 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: