Question about 2001 Chevrolet S-10
It is not a complicated procedure and all the work is within reach and no special tools are needed (can be done with just a pair of regular pliers, but please safely use the proper tools).. The steps are below; however, you may want to go to your local public library (you don't need a library card) and go to the "Reference Section". There you can find "Chilton's and Motor's reference books on your vehicle. Find the pages related to changing the thermostat and photocopy them using the public copy machines (15 ~ 25 cents per page).
Here are the steps:
1. Locate the thermostat housing at the end of the top radiatoir hose where it connects to the engine manifold. It is held onto the hose with a clamp.
2. Drain the radiator coolant to a level below the height of the thermostat housing. The drain plug is a thumb-screw on the lower right of the radiator as you face the radiator (maybe lower left). Reach behind the radiator from the bottom of the car. When done, then:
3. Remove the two bolts that hold the thermostat housing to the manifold.
4. Remove the old thermostat from the engine (may be stuck - pry it off) and scrape the old gasket and sealant from the housing and the manifold.
5. Install new thermostat (pointy side towards radiator) and use sealant on both sides of the gasket.
6. I recommend Permatex #2 non-hardening gasket sealant (small tube $3).
7. Tighten the housing down and replenish radiator....
Posted on Sep 29, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 20, 2015 | 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan
Feb 20, 2015 | 2001 Toyota Corolla
Apr 27, 2017 | 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Dec 18, 2011 | 2001 Lincoln LS
Mar 26, 2011 | 2001 GMC Jimmy
Jul 24, 2010 | 1983 Ford Ranger
Jun 28, 2010 | 2001 Oldsmobile Alero
Oct 31, 2009 | Chrysler Cirrus Cars & Trucks
Jul 27, 2008 | 2001 Chrysler Concorde
125 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: