Question about 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Tips for a great answer:
To check the condition of your original sunroof guides:
- Gl*** in closed position.
- Locate & remove 3 torx bolts on each side of sunroof glass. Lift glass out of sunroof opening & set aside in a safe place.
- Locate "J" shaped cover plate at front of sunroof track assembly. Remove 2 torx bolts from each cover plate.
- Lift up bracket to remove.
- Inspect the plastic guides on each side. The sunroof cables attach to guides on front outer corner. Inspect this area closely for damage.
- Do not operate the sunroof with the J plates removed.Troubleshooting:If the sunroof guides are not broken & the glass is a uniform height along the rear edge your problem may be a stripped gear inside the motor. The motor has a manual override:
- Get access to the motor by removing the map light/switch console or lowering the front of the headliner.
- Insert a large standard screwdriver into the nylon bushing at the center of the motor hub. Push up & turn the screwdriver to manually move the sunroof glass. If the unit will fully open & close manually, you most likely only need a replacement motor.
If your sunroof is stuck in the open position follow these steps to get it closed:
- Remove the glass.
- Try to close the unit without the glass. Many times one side will still be operational and close correctly.
- Try to slide the inoperable lift arm forward. If it moves, slide it forward until it stops.
- You now need to slide the original plastic guide forward to lower the arm to the closed position. Using a standard screwdriver, push it forward. The lift arm should begin to lower.
- If the lift arm will still not fully lower, remove the J plate as explained above, sometimes the sunroof cable will need to be lifted up to allow the guide to fully slide forward.
- Reinstall glass.
May 21, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Mar 23, 2012 | 2003 Jeep Liberty
Feb 21, 2011 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jan 27, 2010 | 1987 Mercedes-Benz Mercedes Benz 500 Class
Sep 15, 2009 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jul 19, 2009 | 2002 Saturn Sl
Jun 02, 2009 | 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Apr 04, 2009 | 2000 Mercury Cougar
Nov 29, 2008 | 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Nov 25, 2008 | 2003 Hyundai Tiburon
178 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!