Question about 1993 Chevrolet Corvette
Car runs great then stalls either when running or idling.It will restart at once. Dealer shows no computer errors. Car engine was steam cleaned when detailed before problem. It has been back to dealer Three times no luck.
Thanks for using FixYa. The stall is likely caused by either a problem in the electrical system or in the fuel system. Your engine stops running because it is not igniting gas in the cylinders, this occurs either because there isn't gas to ignite, or because it lacks the electrical charge to ignite it. Drive the car up and down steep hills. Does this change the performance of the engine, or cause it to stall? This might indicate a clogged fuel filter. Replacing the fuel filter is relatively cheap and easy. The fuel feed line is pressurized by the fuel pumps/sender unit so with engine off line is depressurized.
Please check the procedure for filter removal/replacement--
• Any time working with the fuel system always disconnect the battery... unfortunately you will loose any stored stereo stations.
• Loosen fuel filler cap to depressurize the fuel tank (a put a note to remind yourself to tighten back when you finish everything
• Go to fuel rail (right side) uncap shrader valve, place a paper towl under and in front of it and then simply push in valve stem and depressurize the fuel rail...you will get about a oz of fuel squirted out. Replace shrader valve cap immediately.
• Get a plastic container as one you would use to drain engine oil...put some paper towls in it (keeps the fuel splashing to minimum)
• With a 10mm socket remove metal shield protecting the fuel lines/fuel filter..with same socket remove bolt holding fuel filter to frame
• With a 17 mm and 21 mm (comparable non metric work too) loosen fuel line from fuel tank at filter and just let drain for couple minutes (it doesn't gush out more a a dribble)
• Pull slightly the fuel filter to totally disengage from tank fuel line
• Now using same 17 mm & 21 mm wrenches remove fuel filter from fuel feed line going to fuel rail..
• Basically just reverse to procedure to install new fuel filter...
(1) Inspect the fuel line connector O rings to make sure they are in good condition,
(2) make sure you reinstall the fuel filter retaining band around new fuel filter first (but can be bolted back onto the frame rail last),
(3) make sure to install new filter with the flow going in the correct direction and
(4) I do this just as a precaution.. Use Lock tight blue on the fuel lines to filter connector threads (they only need to be tighten to 22 lbs so don't go garage ape on tightening them.
• Reinstall the shield
For removing the filter you will also need 16mm and 20mm wrenches, and flare nut, crow foot wrenches.
Does the car idle roughly and stall when at idle? Your car has a distributor; you may need to adjust the timing. With the right tools and know how, this is an easy and free task. you might consider changing the cap, rotor, wires and plugs. This is effectively a tune up and will resolve your issue.
Please do accept the solution if the issue is resolved or else revert for further assistance.
Posted on Sep 27, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 08, 2014 | 2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5
Jul 06, 2014 | 1993 Chevrolet C1500
Apr 30, 2014 | 1993 Chevrolet Corvette
Mar 28, 2017 | Cars & Trucks
Sep 26, 2017 | 1993 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
Dec 14, 2010 | Lexus LS 400 Cars & Trucks
Jun 18, 2010 | 1993 Buick Regal
Oct 08, 2009 | 1993 Buick Century
Jul 10, 2009 | 1990 Chevrolet Corvette
342 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: