1998 saturn sc2 po341
P0341 - Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Range/Performance
This P0341 code basically means that the powertrain control module (PCM) detected a problem with the camshaft signal. The camshaft position sensor (CPS) sends a specific signal to the PCM for Top Dead Center on the compression stroke as well as signals indicating the position of the cam sensor. This is accomplished through a reluctor wheel attached to the camshaft that passes by the cam sensor. Any time that the signal to the PCM is inconsistent with what the signal should be, this code is set. NOTE: this code can also be set by extended cranking periods.
Symptoms: The car will likely run with this code set, as it is often intermittent and also because the PCM can often operate the vehicle in "limp-in/limp-home" mode even with a cam sensor signal problem. There may be no noticeable symptoms other than:
* Poor fuel economy (if engine runs)
* Possible no start condition
Causes: A code P0341 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
* Cam sensor wiring routed too close to spark plug wiring (causing interference)
* Poor wiring connection at cam sensor
* Poor wiring connection at PCM
* Bad cam sensor
* Damaged reluctor wheel
Possible Solutions: Often relacing the sensor fixes this code, but not necessarily. Therefore it's important to check the following:
* Check that the wiring isn't routed too close to any secondary ignition components (coil, spark plug wires, etc.)
* Visually inspect the wiring at the sensor for any burn marks, discoloration indicative of melting or chafing
* Visually inspect the cam sensor for damage
* Visually inspect the reluctor wheel through the cam sensor port (if possible) for any missing teeth or any damage
* If reluctor isn't visible from outside the engine, visual test can only be done by removing cam shaft or intake manifold (depending on engine design)
* If all checks out okay, then replace the sensor.
Related Camshaft Trouble Codes: P0340
Hope helps (remember to rate this answer).
Jan 03, 2011 |
Saturn SC2 Cars & Trucks