P0440 OBD-II - Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction
What does that mean?
This indicates that a part of the EVAP
control system is no longer fuctioning correctly. The EVAP system
of many parts, including (but not limited to) the gas cap, fuel lines,
canister, purge valve, and other hoses. The (EVAP) emission
control system prevents the escape of fuel vapors from a vehicle's fuel
Fuel vapors are routed
to a charcoal canister for storage. Later, when the engine is
running a purge
control valve opens allowing intake vacuum to siphon the fuel vapors
OBD-Codes.com on Facebook
You likely won't notice any drivability problems.
A code P0440 could mean one or more of the following has happened:
- The gas cap is not installed or working properly
- The purge solenoid has failed
- The canister is plugged and not working properly
Possible Solutions:With a P0440 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times.
are some things to try:
- Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the code, and drive for a
see if the codes come back.
- Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses
- Inspect for damaged or disconnected hoses around the Evap purge
- Check and/or replace the sensor
- Check and/or replace the purge valve
- Have a professional use a smoke machine to detect leaks
Hope helps (remember rated this).