The fuse and relay box on the E30 and E36 models is located in the engine compartment. The E36 models also has relay boxes located under the left side of the dashboard.
Resetting & Replacement
Circuit breakers are located inside the fuse panel. They are automatically reset when the problem corrects itself, is repaired, or the circuit cools down to allow operation again.
One of the less known about fuses that can cause all this to go out is the fuseable link. It is in a black plastic box near the battery. It is an appx 60A thin metal strip fuse. Check the website link to the right for more info.
Also, I suggest check your Fuse Diagram in the BMW 525i Owners Manual here.
Emergency Closure Operation
The sunroof is equipped with an emergency closure feature should the sunroof motor fail or the vehicle has lost electrical power. To close the sunroof under these conditions:
Fig. Remove the trim panel to access the sunroof motor
Fig. Insert the 6mm hex tool from the tool kit and turn the hex socket to close the sunroof
- Remove the front headliner trim panel.
- Using the 6mm hex key that is included with the tool kit, insert the key into the hex socket and turn the socket to close the sunroof.
Removal & InstallationE30 Models
Fig. Sunroof components-E30 3 Series shown, E36 similar
Fig. Sunroof lid retainer clip location-E30 3 Series shown, E36 similar
- Open the sunroof lid 2-4 inches (5-10cm).
- Unclip the roof liner frame and push back into the opening.
- Close the sunroof lid and loosen the screws on each end of the gates.
- Pull in the retainers, remove the center screws and lift off the lid.
- Remove the cover over the motor and gearbox. Close the sunroof lid, if not already closed.
- Disconnect the wiring harness and remove the 3 mounting screws. Remove the motor and gearbox.
- Push the cables back evenly on both sides. Remove the rail covers and pull the cables out of the guides.
- Place the cable in the center position of the gate and press off.
- Install the cables to the gate. The cable are marked with the proper side of installation. Do not lubricate fabric covered cables.
- Pull the cables through guides and align the cables. Insert a hex key through the gate and cable at the 0 position.
- Install the motor and gearbox. The motor and gearbox must be synchronized with the hole in the drivegear aligned between the centers of the 2 gears. Torque the bolts to 2.0 ft. lbs. (2.8 Nm).
- Install the sunroof lid. Use new screws and torque to 2.5 ft. lbs. (3.5 Nm).
- Adjust the sunroof lid. Pull the roof liner frame into position and clip into place.
- Close the sunroof fully. With a quick actuation of the sunroof opening button, open the sunroof so the back edge of the lid depresses 0.08-0.12 inches (2-3mm).
- Slowly push the roof liner panel back into the roof. Do not force or use a quick motion or damage could occur.
- Remove the mounting screws and pull the lid off at the rear side. Do not operate the sunroof with the panel removed.
- Install the lid and check that the hooks and levers align. Install the screws with threadlocker or use new micro-encapsulated screws. Torque to 2.5 ft. lbs. (3.5 Nm).
- Adjust the sunroof lid. Lower the rear of the lid by operating the motor. Pull the liner forward and clip into place.