Question about Dodge Ram 1500
Actually its a very difficult task and its better to approach a dealership.It take about 8 hours to complete the process.But if you need the procedure follow the steps
Disconnect the battery before attempting any work to avoid a short
)Remove first screw on plastic door sill on both sides. (the things on top of rug where door closes)Remove kick panels.
2)Remove panel under steering wheel.
3)Remove two nuts holding up steering wheel.
4)Remove screws where windshield meets dash board.
5)Remove 2 bolts left and right under dash but against sides of car (under kick panels).
5a) There is a square box in the center of the dash by the floor. Take it off and take those nuts off. And disconnect the wire harness and the get the panel loose and down out of the way.
6)Dashboard is now loose and can be pulled towards the seats.
7)On right side of dash hook a wire way up to screw that holds moulding clips, or pull the dash towards the seat and put a jackstand under the passenger side.
8)The whole heater box is now visible.
9) You've got to remove vacuum lines, controls, and electric plugs from heater box.
10) There are 2 screws holding it to fire wall on inside (one has a ground wire attached). The other is in the upper right hand corner facing up. The easiest way to get to the bolts holding the ground wire is to take out the glove compartment and then take out the airbag.
11) there are 4 nuts holding it from engine side of firewall(one is behind the electric panel on the passanger side). Remove all four of these.
12) Remove heater hose clamps with a hose clamp plier. This will take time, these clips are hard to get off.
13) Drain the AC freon.
14)the AC lines require a special tool that costs $9-12 at parts store. the kit has 6 plastic widgets. use the one that fits. play with an AC fitting near the radiator for practice first.
15) you should be able to pull the heater box out now.
16) Remember the dashboard is just pulled up high enough on the right to get at the heater box.
17) It is a good idea to change the A/C evaporator core while doing this job. They are both in same box
Hope this helps
Posted on Sep 12, 2009
Testimonial: "help was good but i found the same word for word on the internet"
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 18, 2016 | 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500
Mar 07, 2015 | 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Jan 21, 2014 | 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
Nov 22, 2012 | 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
Feb 24, 2010 | 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
Jan 09, 2010 | 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
Dec 12, 2009 | 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Club Cab
Nov 23, 2009 | 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4WD
Jan 21, 2009 | 1997 Dodge Ram
273 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: