Question about 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1) Jack up the front of the truck ( or the affected side).
2) Remove the wheel.
3) Remove the brake caliper, pads, and rotor.
4) Remove the axle nut. I use a 36mm socket.
5) Remove the three hub bolts (from the back of the spindle) ea.:
5a) You will need a 1/2 12 point inch ratcheting box wrench and larger
box wrench as I use or a 1/2 inch 12 pt. socket and ratchet with
long handle for rich folks who can afford such luxuries.
5b) Force the bolt to loosen 1/4 turn, then retighten. Spray the threads
with penetrating oil, then loosen as far as it will go (not much) easily.
Now curse about Mopar and rust. Ask a sailor for help if needed. Wire wheel or
5c) Go to 5b) until the bolt is out.
6) Use a sharp chisel and hammer to draw the hub bearing out of the spindle. Try not to use the chisel near the bolt holes.
7) Use a sanding disc remove any burrs from the hub mating surface of
8) Use wheel bearing greasre or moly grease to coat the splines of the
axle, the big hole in the spindle, and the threads of the bolts.
9) Put it all together.
10) If you got lazy and didn't do step #7, get a wheel alignment, then
drive for about 5k miles, repeat steps 1-9, then get a wheel
Posted on Sep 11, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 24, 2015 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jan 22, 2013 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Apr 22, 2012 | 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jul 12, 2011 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Oct 18, 2010 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sep 05, 2010 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
May 26, 2010 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Oct 04, 2009 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Apr 08, 2009 | 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Feb 22, 2009 | 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee
226 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: