Question about 2005 Ford Escape
When i start my 2005 Ford Escape it idles good but when i put it in gear it goes dead, i have changed out the fuel filter and put some injector cleaner, the only way i can get to run in gear is to press the gas pedal some to keep the RPM's up and it will run while in gear.
You started the right way.
It sounds like it needs a tune-up.
Change the sparkplugs - Use Autolite Platinum ($3.87 for two at WalMart; $6 each at AutoZone)
Also, check for faulty sparkplug cables as follows:
1. When it is getting dark outside, set the parking/emergency brake.
2. Open the hood.
3. Start the car and look under hood for "sparks" from the sparkplug cables to the engine (or other metal part).
4. DON'T TOUCH anything under the hood! The cables can shock you (bad!) or the fan can cut you or the Boogeyman may reach out ... (sorry)...
5. Turn off car .. that ends the cable spark test.
6. Replace ALL sparkplug cables if any create a light show under the hood.
Hope this helps!
(It's the plugs)
Posted on Sep 08, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 17, 2017 | Ford Cars & Trucks
Jan 26, 2015 | 1989 Ford Ranger
Dec 27, 2013 | 2002 Ford Escape
Jun 18, 2010 | 2001 Ford Escape
Nov 22, 2009 | 2005 Ford Escape
May 02, 2017 | 2005 Ford Escape
Oct 02, 2009 | 2005 Ford Escape
Feb 08, 2009 | 2005 Ford Escape
267 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!