Question about 2005 Pontiac Vibe
2005 Pontiac Vibe FWD L4-1.8L VIN 8
Alternator: Service and Repair
- Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.
- Failure to observe step 1 may result in a serious personal injury. If a tool is shorted at the generator lead, the tool will become hot
enough to cause a serious burn.
1. Disconnect the negative (-) battery cable.
2. Loosen the belt tension by turning the drive belt tensioner clockwise.
3. Remove the drive belt.
4. Disconnect the wire clamp (3) from the wire clip.
5. Remove the terminal cap and nut (1).
6. Disconnect the engine wire.
7. Disconnect the generator connector (2).
8. Remove the two mounting bolts.
9. Remove the generator (4).
1. Install the generator (4) to the vehicle.
NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
2. Secure the generator with the two generator mounting bolts.
- Tighten the upper bolt to 25 N.m (18 lb ft).
- Tighten the lower bolt to 54 N.m (40 lb ft).
3. Connect the generator connector (2).
4. Connect engine wire to the generator.
5. Secure the engine wire with the nut.
Tighten the nut to 9.8 N.m (86 lb in).
6. Install the terminal cap (1) to the nut.
7. Install the wire clamp (3) to the wire clip.
8. Install the drive belt.
- Visually inspect the drive belt for wear and damage.
- Minor cracks on the ribbed side of the belt are considered acceptable. Replace the belt if pieces are missing from the ribs.
- Ensure that the belt tensioner moves downward when the belt is pressed down in the center with a force of approximately 98 N (22 lb).
9. Connect the negative (-) battery cable.
Tighten the bolt to 15 N.m (11 lb ft).
Posted on Sep 06, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 03, 2015 | Nissan Cars & Trucks
Jul 14, 2015 | 2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
May 24, 2015 | Chrysler Sebring Cars & Trucks
Mar 26, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Feb 21, 2013 | Cadillac DeVille Cars & Trucks
How to change Alternator on Peugeot
These will help.
Nov 28, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Mar 07, 2010 | 1995 Chrysler LHS
Feb 28, 2010 | 1994 Toyota Celica
May 13, 2009 | 1994 Isuzu Rodeo
1,223 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!